1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

circle games/ideas for new starters

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Loopyloz, Jul 17, 2007.

1. I have got my new reception class for day on thursday and was going to do My name is......... passing teddy around the circle and each child saying their name. Has anyone got any other ideas/games for new starters. All the children know each other already from Nursery.
    Thanks in advance

2. I have got my new reception class for day on thursday and was going to do My name is......... passing teddy around the circle and each child saying their name. Has anyone got any other ideas/games for new starters. All the children know each other already from Nursery.
    Thanks in advance

3. I'm going to jump in on this thread too as I would love to hear some advice!!!

4. I was going to do the same circle game but I have a group of eleven, three of which speak Polish and very little english (neither do the parents! Their visit was good fun) another 2 speak Hindu, a chinese little girl and two who speak english as their first language but have speech problems!!! The next term is going to be fun

5. Last year i got the children to make their own portraits on paper plates and displayed them ready for when they returned in spetemeber. It made them feel more welcome and apart of the class from the start.

6. shrinky dink

Sounds like you have you hands full, like me!! I have some polish children and some from czech and some with Urdu and arabic as first language.

7. Loopyloz do you know of any good webstites that I can download polish words? 'luckily I have a hindu family at the moment who have kindly written my name in hindu and some words eg pens, paper, toilet the necessaties but I am really struggling with the Polish

8. If you put in polish words on resource bank on this site it has some things and think their is a link to website on one of them. I still need to sort out all my translation words to put around classroom but found some numbers and days of week on resource bank.
    Hope this helps.
    what things did you do with your class when you had them?

9. This is a great site for all of those with lots of different languages in their classes. It gives numbers, everyday words and phrases such as hello and goodbye,I do not understand - along with all sorts of other stuff. Hope it helps.
    ahttp://www.newburypark.redbridge.sch.uk/langofmonth/

10. Loopyloz
    Sorry did I not say that they are my new intake, I have not had children who don't speak any English but I was thinking of starting back with the theme of colours and including skin tones within this, lots of using visual cards as well

11. I teach English as a second Language to Spanish children.

Here you can find some of the activities and games I play in my class with the youngest ones (3 to 5).

http://misslucysteachingfun.blogspot.com.es/

The last entry is about a circle game I've been playing for 2 months and they still love it!

I hope it helps.