1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Circle games / getting to know you ideas suitable for Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by KarrieGem, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT and this week I am starting in a new class. The class is a Reception class and I would like to do some circle games / getting to know you type things to get to know the children a bit better. I thought of a few ideas but not set on anything yet. Does anyone have any good ideas or suggestions?
    I would be really grateful for any ideas,
    K x

2. Hi,
    I'm an NQT and this week I am starting in a new class. The class is a Reception class and I would like to do some circle games / getting to know you type things to get to know the children a bit better. I thought of a few ideas but not set on anything yet. Does anyone have any good ideas or suggestions?
    I would be really grateful for any ideas,
    K x

3. Hi K,
    'Swap shop' is a good get to know u game and good for listening too. Children sit in a circle u say 2 names and they jump up and swap places. As they get better u can get faster. And all the pass the ... Games r good too. Pass the clap .chil just turn slightly to face person next to them and clap. U can do pass the smile, hug whatever. Clapping the beats in their name in turn helps remembering names. Hope this gives u a few ideas. Enjoy Eve

4. Thanks for the suggestions, they sound really good. I'm very nervous - it's not my first term but I was teaching Year 1 on maternity cover contract but now that has ended I am going to be teaching Reception for half the week and Nursery for the other half and I've never taught Early Years before so really hoping it's not a disaster!

K x

5. Hi Karrie,
    I'm sure you'll be fine. Y R is demanding but lots of fun. I've taught Reception, and Yr1 for many years (20+). I am now in the nursery - loving it. Please let me know if you ever need any help - ideas for games and activities, planning etc. I hate the thought of anyone being stressed. The forums are also good because you get a good spread of ideas. BTW Poisson Rouge is a fantastic website for early years and remember the children won't know you're nervous. good luck!
    Regards eve
    evebatten@aol.com

6. Thank you so much eve, that's so kind - I'm sure I will be taking you up on the offer to pick your brains! I'm sure it will be fine and I am at a lovely supportive school but early years just seems so different to what I'm used to - the structure of the day, planning, assessment...everything! I just want to do a good job for the children but it just seems like theres so much to get my head around!
    K x