1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cigarette Dilemma - throw, pocket or bin?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by rideemcowboy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

I have often pondered on the dilemma of what should smokers do with their butt once they have sucked the life out of their cigarette, when out and about away from the ashtray?
    A/ Throw it on the ground?
    B/ Put it in their pocket?
    C/ Throw it in a bin?
    D/ Throw it on the ground, stomp on it and then put it in their pocket or a bin

None of these seems satisfactory. Am I missing something?

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

No smoker has ever considered anything except option A. To them there is no dilemma and cigarette butts somehow don't constitute litter, they disappear by magic.

3. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

That does appear to be the case. One wonders on the misguided logic that must pervade a smoker. They appear comfortable with the intake of self-inflicted deadly fumes into their own body and those around them, so why question the relatively inconsequential effect on them of their butt disposal?

4. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I quit smoking 4 years ago. However, the butts drove me insane. It wasn't a dilemma to me. I always used the cigarette bins and the ash-tray bit on top of regular bins. Then again, I didn't smoke much in public. I think people should have a choice about exposing themselves to cigarette smoke.

The smell actually makes me feel ill now and it annoys me that some people think it's fine to inflict it on others.

5. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I just love it when you are sitting at the table behind a smoker and they hold the cigarette over their shoulder so the smoke runs away from their face straight into yours. Says it all really.
    As for the butts, what would you expect from someone with the consideration of above?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Mr jubilee gave up last year on the day hat he had a stroke. He had been smoking at least 20 per day for over 45 years.
    When out and about, with no access to a bin, he would stub the cigarette out on the floor and then put it back in the packet.