1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CIE vs Edexcel IGCSE English Lit

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tb9605, May 11, 2017.

1. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

To any English teachers out there... have you taught or do you teach either the Edexcel or CIE IGCSE English Literature specifications? How do you find them? Which bots do students find hard? It strikes me that the poetry comparison question on the Edexcel Paper 1 might be a challenge, though with the greater weighting for coursework perhaps that's mitigated? is anyone doing any other specifications?

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

I currently teach iGCSE English lit. I find it okay... We do the coursework route for lit, and 100% exam for language. With the lit, it's quite frustrating that they change the texts every couple of years and so you make lots of resources - only to never use them ever again! And often, the texts are a little dry for the children which is a shame. I haven't taught EDEXCEL, but have used both AQA and WJEC and much prefer WJEC/EDUQAS over all of the specs I've seen.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Thanks for the reply- yes I don't like the look of the frequently changing texts on CIE. There's no indication on the Edexcel spec that the texts will change - I might call them to find out - which is one of the things that attracts me.

sicalifornia likes this.