1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CIE marks breakdown - 0522 First Language English

Discussion in 'English' started by 22Truth, Aug 13, 2015.

1. We are new to CIE this year, and my exams officer is struggling to find the unit marks breakdown for this qualification. We have had some surprising results, and are keen to see the split between all three units, specifically the exam marks, and whether or not our coursework/S&L marks have been adjusted. Does anyone know where we can find this information?

Also, does anyone have the link to requesting students' scripts? We will want to get some back for teaching purposes.

Thanks in advance

2. oes

oes

I found last year's through a link on The Student Room. CIE are not great with letting you know where these resources are. We were given a password to log into their site last year and it hasn't worked but we are unable to get them to respond to our requests to change it.

Surprising results for us too - suspect some government interference again! Told you so.... et al as they are scrapping the course & want us ALL to sit the 'prescribed' GCSE whether state, Academy or Independent school.

3. Hi OES,

I have a password for the teacher resource site and have found the grade boundaries there - it's the individual student breakdowns we're looking for, I.e. What raw mark they achieved on each of the three units (specifically the exam). We haven't been able to get hold of these but I'm wondering whether this is standard?

4. becorleansky

becorleansky New commenter

They usually send a report to the exam's officer. I'm desperate to see it. I've had a drop in A*'s - A; students who I would have wagered my life on have only achieved a B. I just don't understand it

5. We have experienced the same issues and it would appear to be the exam where the marking is bizarre. I wonder how many other schools are in the same situation.

6. becorleansky

Well this is it, isn't it. I've got students who have cautiously , following careful moderation, been awarded good grades for the coursework who have appeared to have bombed in the exam and others vice versa. I'm so fed up at the moment. Just waiting on WJEC to pull us through !

7. becorleansky

That and we haven't been sent any breakdown of the marks

8. tollolo

tollolo New commenter

I called them today: the don't release a specific breakdown of the marks (I understand). They are planning to do this at some point soon. They do release overall component marks.

Farce.

9. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Yes, it is a farce - I was told the same thing last September re planning to release a specific breakdown of the marks soon.

As for component marks - only your exams officer can see this.

Incidentally, our Paper 2 marks were all over the place too. Paper 3 was fine.