1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CIE Exemplar material misleading

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Wolfiefish, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Wolfiefish

Wolfiefish New commenter

After our dreadful IGCSE results with CIE, we started to compare the work of our students to the sample material that CIE has published. There are massive, obvious discrepancies between the grades awarded. The exemplar material is totally useless as an aid to understanding assessment of students work, they display a grade D work which is awful. None of our students managed to produce such dross, but CIE deemed in totally acceptable to award some of our students E's and F's!

We have shown this comparison to many different members of staff and they all agree that our lower grade work should have been higher than the graded work on display from CIE.

But what can you do about this? Trying to get any sense or logical answer from CIE is impossible.
    Art assessment centers are becoming a money spinning joke.

pascuam49 and verymessy like this.
  2. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

I totally agree I was so at odds, about 3 years ago I had the exemplar printed out along with our students work There were no names and they were not told that the work was from different schools and gave it to SLT to grade with the assessment criteria They were all way out our D was an A and the CIE A was a C, and that was for all of the exemplars,
    I sent email after email asking for help, we even did a webenair that was of no use.
    We went from 88 % A* to C to 50% A* to C in 3 years
    This year we changed and the results went back up !

verymessy likes this.
  3. Wolfiefish

Wolfiefish New commenter

So there is little use in trying to complain.
    What board did you change to?

4. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

Hi
    We changed to EDEXCEL
    They really help when you ask for help they email you back with in the hour. sometimes its instant.
    The spec is just 4 sheets and for the next couple of years NO course work just a straight exam.( our students procrastinate I am told its a Latin thing, I hence to say by Latinos )
    I can concentrate on drawing skills and processes, that leads well on to IB .
    Please ask if you would like to see our examples we had a full range.

pascuam49 likes this.