1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CIE Examinations Cancelled (Plans for Year 11/13?)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rossydunn, Mar 24, 2020.

1. rossydunn

rossydunn New commenter

Website updated with the details - https://www.cambridgeinternational....nternational-on-may-june-2020-exams-20200323/

My question - What are other schools doing to support their Y11 and Y13 students at this time? Is anyone putting additional provision in place or will you put Y11 and Y13 on "extended break". Our plan was to move the Y11 onto the A-Level courses but this has it's pitfalls...

Ideas/guidance welcomed!

2. sicalifornia

sicalifornia New commenter

Also struggling with this in our little corner of Asia. It really depends what they tell us all on Thursday regarding how the grades will be awarded.

I'd also be interested to hear what other schools are doing. For year 13, I believe our school are just discontinuing teaching from Friday to relieve them from more stress trying to do all of this remotely. For year 11, I understand the plan is to finish teaching the syllabus material and then cease teaching (some are already there). Year 12... Continue as normal and get them to sit in November? We'll see!

3. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

I'm currently assisting at an independent school in the UK and, for Y11 students, they are making an early start (albeit online) with their A-Level courses. For Y13s, they are offering what they hope will be some useful preparation for their university courses. Obviously, like most international schools, if there are no examinations on offer or teaching going on, there's no reason for parents to part with their cash.

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Yes, absolutely! I don't know how you can do anything but carry on as normal until you know what you have to provide. There may well be a pile of admin to do. We may have to produce piles of work, when we can't get hold of it.

Besides, Edexcel haven't cancelled (yet).

5. mr1303

mr1303 New commenter

We have given them all a big bunch of past papers to do and to submit to make sure they have sufficient evidence as and when it is all required. We're trying to get together every bit of evidence we possibly have. How good each bit is, when students have been at home for the last two months, is questionable.

6. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Here is where we discover that too many years of exam preparation has knocked the creativity out of us.....

Though honestly, if I had the freedom to be teaching without exams, our time would be filled with lots of practical stuff and that's pretty much impossible at the moment.

7. jnugent6

jnugent6 New commenter

Edexcel international A levels and iGCSE are also cancelled

8. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

Cambridge will be making an announcement tomorrow, 26th March.
    Can't wait to see how schools manipulate Cambridge's lax system and award everyone, including their SEN, with 9A*s.:)

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

What was the announcement?

10. rossydunn

rossydunn New commenter

Yes, we are awaiting the communication on their behalf today. From our perspective, we will look to set a "Mock Week" at home for our Y11 next week, giving our staff some time to plan and prepare a bridging introductory course into A-Level (although this will look and feel very different via distance learning...). We open our 6th form in September, so thankfully only have the Y11 cohort to manage in this regard.

It will be interesting to find out what evidence Cambridge require. We have been busy since Tuesday collating all our information, mock grades, teacher assessed end of unit assessments plus 4+ years of external GL data for our current cohort... as prepared as I like to think we are, it does throw in the question of grade integrity - no doubt that the implemented process will leave room for some "gaming" of the system in some manner. All we as a senior management can do is act as honestly and with as much integrity as we can.

11. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

No announcement yet

12. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

How on earth can you do a valid mock week from distance - isn't this just adding extra anxiety to an already disturbed cohort... and what really will you get out of it?? Grades distorted by cheating... and parental complaints once they get a sniff of how invalid it is... plus wont they need to know their grades - and wo betide you if those grades aren't the ones their little Angel's come out with in the end if they've worked so hard for them now!!

13. normannobody2018

Still waiting... They said it would be today earlier this week.
    I reckon they have just realised 80% of schools will give false information to inflate grades, and are now reconsidering their plans.

14. normannobody2018

"All we as a senior management can do is act as honestly and with as much integrity as we can." whilst the rest of the world gives all their students A*

15. mr1303

mr1303 New commenter

The announcement wasn't hugely informative - most of it was "wait until March 31st". There were a few bits, such as no need to do English speaking tests, keep coursework on file, keep test papers locked away, but nothing really more than that.

16. Mitochondria1

The announcement was announcing that they still have no idea what they are doing and to await more news later...a joke.

17. normannobody2018

They're still trying to work out how easy they want cheating schools to give fake grades.

18. missmunchie

missmunchie Occasional commenter

I was under the impression that predicted grades were sent at the same time as entries. However, the deadline for predicted grades for the May/ June exams is the 30th of April! I don't see how they can use predicted grades, as they will all be inflated.
    I also wonder what will happen to the exam papers, they will have been written and some even printed by now. Will they be uploaded to the exam boards websites? Or do you think they will use these exams in November, taking the risk that these exam papers may be leaked?
    Postponing the exams would have made so much more sense or have schools complete the exams in emptier schools with strict health and safety checks and distancing measures.

19. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

There are some courses on Futurelearn that may be useful to Yr13 students, including prep for higher education

www.futurelearn.com/subjects

20. Mitochondria1

going to go out on a limb and make the prediction that the 'guidance' expected today from CAIE is going to essentially say 'eeeer wait another 7 days pls'