1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CIE Computer Science A Level

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Penny10p, May 27, 2019.

1. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Anyone teaching this course? What did you think of the papers?

2. Compucademy

Compucademy New commenter

I've taught this course. It's pretty thorough. There are definitely some good points, but the treatment of ADTs is insanely complex, IMO. They have linked lists implemented inside arrays, and then base stacks, queues and trees off of this. The implementations given in the text book and teacher resource are nasty and my students could make little sense of them even with various tracing tools. OOP is covered in depth and well, and it's great there is no course work, IMO. All very subjective of course...

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Linked lists are best taught using a language which has pointers, like C. Stacks are a nightmare to implement in arrays, I have tried it but easy in languages which support stacks, like VB.

Tracing tools are useless. Never found one which helped me in any way. I rarely use any resources supplied by an exam board. I write my own to suit the students in front of me.

4. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

I get my Y13 students to create a stack class using an array, with push and pop methods and suitable error catching. Then a queue. Using C# now, although I did it with VB for several years. It wasn't a nightmare at all.

I did attempt linked lists a few years ago and only my very best students got anywhere. It is no longer in the AQA theory spec (although they are mentioned in the project, and that annoys me for several reasons).

5. Compucademy

Compucademy New commenter

@Dorsetdreams, Unfortunately the CIE A level exam questions on ADTs are based on the pointer/array based implementations in the text book, which are pretty tricky to follow.

I would much rather use a simple Node class like this in Python:

class Node:
    def __init__(self,initdata):
    self.data = initdata
    self.next = None

def getData(self):
    return self.data

def getNext(self):
    return self.next

def setData(self,newdata):
    self.data = newdata

def setNext(self,newnext):
    self.next = newnext

This allows students to focus on algorithms which use the ADTs, rather than getting bogged down in lower-level implementations than they are likely to ever need.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019