1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CIE: Anyone else absolutely steaming at results?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tb9605, Aug 11, 2020.

1. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

CIE results out today. Anyone else absolutely steaming about the hideous injustices meted out by the board?

gone east likes this.
  2. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Curious as to whether you mean for specific subjects or across the board.

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Mine were almost exactly as predicted. But we didn't inflate over our usual percentages and gave Fs where they were deserved. I submitted what I feel was pretty comprehensive evidence though

I checked all subjects and the grade percentages are pretty much where they were last year.

bensball likes this.
  4. tb9605

Across the board... Though my A level class was hit particularly hard. Students who got a B and C at AS awarded a D and E respectively. That's the exam board basically saying that those students would have failed Y13/the A2. What?!

First cohort to ever do that A level at our school, so no idea what CIE based the results on. Certainly not on my forecasts (backed up by extensive evidence).

5. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Apologies if this posts twice, I wrote it out and then it disappeared.

On the CIE stats page it says this: "If your centre is completely new to the syllabus in June 2020 the calculation will assume that your centre is similar to the average of all other centres and we will award grades in the same proportion as were awarded globally in June 2019."

In my subject, A Level seems fair with 1 exception, IGCSE are almost exactly as predicted with 5 marked up and 2 down (large cohort) and AS are all over the shop, with more than half the group being marked down by 2 or 3 grades.

6. tb9605

Oh wow! That's crazy! That basically means the only thing that mattered was the order in which I ranked the students. So a student who was one raw mark behind another gets a D while the other gets a C (when both were B grade students). That is monumentally unfair.

7. kinks

kinks New commenter

Nope ,unlike IB which was completely unfair the igcse results were as we predicted ,so a pleasing day. The only discrepancy we will contend will be Maths which doesn't appear to be inline with all the other subjects.
    A much happier day than IB results day

T0nyGT likes this.
  8. 4019775

4019775 Occasional commenter

Happy with my results. No complaints. Was the IB unfair or is it one of the few systems that still has integrity and where a top grade is respected?

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It is but to be honest, I'm not sure what else could be done. It's easy to bash exam boards but this is an unprecedented event

10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Seems beyond crazy. So, we stopped exams-too dangerous. Now we're opening schools for everyone! Why not just leave schools closed but do exams in Autumn, so only exam students need be in? They could have publicised that in June/July, to make it fairer for all. University could just start later than usual.

11. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Same - in fact some of those I stressed over have been raised a grade. Except I wasn't asked for 'evidence', though I had what I could have ready in case.

12. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Ours came back in line with our rankings but it seems they just applied last year's grades across this year's students. I understand the logic but these are entirely different cohorts. For example, last year in my subject only one student achieved an A*, one A, a small middle ground and then a lot of low grades. This year I (and my department colleagues) would have placed at least 5 students in the A*/A bracket. Some students who were on track for a solid B ended up with a D. So in our school, this cohort have been let down by the previous year's terrible results. This is despite us providing plenty of evidence that these students are simply not comparable with last year, including offering Yellis scores as more independent proof of this.

13. tb9605

Umm... they could have retained some of their examiners to moderate a sample of teacher assessments to discern whether teachers were marking accurately, then used that to moderate forecast grades?

Elsewhere in the school a subject that hasn't been taught for two years and now has a new teacher, entered three students. They were all forecast the same grade: one got that grade, one had their mark moved down by two grades, one by three grades. How is that fair???? Crazy.

14. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

Mine were pretty much in line with what I expected each student to get apart from 2 students who were given 2 grades lower than what I expected them to get, Es instead of Cs. I think the stink that is about to be kicked up will mean many grades being adjusted upwards. I am not sure what the exam board thinks they are doing, except creating a whole lot of misery for themselves.

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

This would be an absolutely collosal job. Examiners examine set papers with set questions, you can't expect them to judge the quality of marking for any given subject question and adjust teacher's grades accordingly. That would take months of full time training to properly undertake. Plus the amount of time it takes a software developer to create algorithms to collate data.

16. 4019775

4019775 Occasional commenter

To big a job. To much money needed.

17. tb9605

Seeing as the markscheme for many Arts and Humanities subjects doesn't change year on year (in fact some subjects don't even bother providing indiciative material for some questions) it really wouldn't have been. I say this as an examiner/moderator of coursework of many years experience.

Might have been a different story for Maths and Science I grant you...

As for too much money - note we're paying the same to the exam boards as in normal years, yet they haven't needed to employ examiners nor send out papers, and thus must have saved a fortune.

Anyway, too late now of course.

I wonder if this sticking-plaster-on-gaping-wound approach of Williamson (allowing students to use mock results instead) will apply to International Boards?

18. Fer888888

Fer888888 New commenter

My son was mark away from an A in Maths for the AS level- they awarded him a U for the final A level grade - really unhappy and the school is appealing. No account was taken of the AS levels or the predictions from what we can see.

19. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Ouch

20. install

install Star commenter

Not if that was where the border marker had been set and if the Centre had ranked the students - one being better than the other. Although I agree a Grade B given to one student and a Grade C to the other might have been preferable.

Will the students now do the real exams when they can?