1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Church Of Scotland; trainees for the ministry rising.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cuteinpuce, Dec 29, 2015.

1. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

The number of people training to become ministers in the Church of Scotland is on the rise.

I haven't lived in Scotland for a long time now and only make the occasional visit. So I don't really have any sense of the health of the Kirk. But I find this heartening news.

It mirrors the steady rise in seminarians training to become priests in the Catholic Church in England and Wales over the last decade or so.

The view is commonly expressed that religion in the West is in a state of terminal decline. But I'm not sure that's the case.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

31 trainees is hardly a stampede.

3. cuteinpuce

Church Of Scotland ministers are only known to stampede when the Moderator of the General Assembly's speech has been of a particularly challenging length and the toilets are calling.

4. ninenotes

If they're going to need loads of new ones it could be an alternative for people leaving teaching. They've already got the skills for keeping a large group in order.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

and making them believe anything.

6. cuteinpuce

While a bit of experience of life, for instance as a teacher, can be useful for those going into the ministry or priesthood, the important thing is that they have a genuine calling. Without it, they won't be up to the work; with it, any difficulties can be overcome.

7. ninenotes

:eek:

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You're spot on, it's not. The 'secularisation thesis' is a load of bunk.

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

"Figures show that the number of ordinations in England and Wales is expected to reach 38 in 2013, compared with 20 in 2011, while the Archdiocese of Southwark currently has 26 seminarians in contrast with only 10 in 2005." (Catholic Herald)

So - 18 more ordinations in 2013 than in 2011 - an 80% rise in 2 years. An 80% rise of a very low number considering there are 22 RC dioceses in England & Wales. So that's not even 2 from each diocese. A lot of these rises in ordination numbers spring from dissatisfied Anglican priests jumping the fence because they disagree with the idea of female bishops in the Anglican tradition, so I don't think they really count!

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Not many jobs about so the Church looks like a decent option.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't you just wish the Jocks had voted for independence.

How much ***** would they have been in a few years down the line.