1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Church of England

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Nov 6, 2011.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I'm moving from a Catholic school where we follow 'Here I am' (oh the joy) scheme of work for RE. What scheme do Church of England schools follow?

2. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I think it varies. When I worked at a C of E school a couple of years ago we used the basic county scheme of work but I know the schools do have the option to opt out of this.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I believe it is what is termed a 'locally agreed syllabus'. In some CofE schools this is followed, but in others RE is one of those things that always gets missed.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We NEVER miss RE, I have 2 lessons a week!

5. I've just started at a CofE school. I would never have even considered a Church school if it hadn't been SO lovely - I thought I'd have to teach that CofE is good and everything else is bad (in the Catholics style!) but I've actually been pleasantly suprised so far. We use the LEA plan. This unit, certainly, is a comparative study between Christianity and another religion in the way they celebrate and use light as a symbol. It doesn't say one is better or posit Hinduism as The Other; it just explores both. And the finishing point of every lesson isn't anything about God or Hell or the CofE, but rather about helping the chn to reflect on their lives, actions and personal beliefs. I think it's really rather sweet! [​IMG] x

6. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

If you've never considered working in a faith school before where did your rather skewed vision of catholic schools come from? We teach the children about the faith but have never been expected to give an unfavourable view of other faiths, and I have never talked about hell in RE.

7. My own Catholic education. [​IMG]