1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chronic Tonsilitis :(

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by SeraRose, Mar 15, 2011.

1. At half term, I had a really bad infection in my sinuses, tonsils and chest. Over this weekend, my tonsils have become infected again. I've been to see my doctor who told me that I have chronic tonsilitis; and while I really needed them out, I wouldn't be able to have the operation on the NHS, as I don't meet the criteria for it.
    I feel so tired with it all, I don't get the chance to build myself up before the next bout of it starts again. I'm worried about needing to take time off.

2. I had tonsilitis on and off for three years and it was very debilitating. In the end the doctor wanted to prescribe me anti-depressants which made even more miserable as the problem was in my throat and nowhere else! I did some things which may or may not have worked, I certainly don't get tonsilitis anymore - touch wood.

threw out my toothbrush every time I got it and started again, then threw that one out once it had cleared up
    wore a scarf every day that y throat was sore
    always had water to hand and drank all the time to avoid getting a dry and vulnerable throat
    Changed to sensodyne total care gel toothpaste which doesn't contain sodium laryl sulphate (which strips the natural layer of mucus in your mouth out)

I hope that you're able to try these and that they help, I know how dreadful it is.

3. I feel your pain. I have had accute tonsilitis 3 time since Christmas and I'm really fed up. I missed most of my baby's first Christmas because I was so poorly. My OH has had to take time off to look after me and my son as I couldn't look after him.
    I used to suffer a lot as a teenage but I hadn't had it for years before now. My GP told me the other week that they are not performing tonsilectomies [sp?] on the NHS any more as they have cut the funding. he did say that he would refer me if I wanted to go private though [thanks!].
    It's horrid and I don't think people realise how painful it is and how hard it is to breathe or sleep with it. Hope it stays away as the weather improves. Take lots of vit c and wrap up warm x