1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chromebooks

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by HappyHippy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. A quick look on Amazon points to a £350/£400 price tag for a cut down laptop with no O/S. If you lose connectivity you presumably lose access to both data and applications, and at a price point above many laptops and pretty much all laptops. I have yet to see a decent online video editor or Flash alternative so you're also cutting down on what kinds of software you can get access to. For £100 I might have a punt. At 4 times that you can forget it!

2. Far too expensive to take off and suffers all the issues identified by HappyHippy, unless the price of 3G plummets I can sadly see little use for this device.

3. *** me!

I agree with hippy completely.

But didn't the link say you get a free 3G connection?

Just imagine that visit from Ofsted when everything goes down......

4. American Only, its a 100mb per month Verizon 3G... that will be burned up in a few days even if only using for standard tasks.

No idea what the UK one will offer.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Didn't MicroSloth end up in trouble in the EU for combining the browser and OS? I wonder how long it will take MS to complain to EU courts about this? I suspect they will wait until the product has shipped thus causing Google maximum inconvenience and cost.
    [/cynical mode]

6. They got in trouble for bundling IE as the default browser and making it so prominent. I imagine Google's claim will be another browser can't mimic the same apps installation etc that Chrome can, and so it'll have to be Chrome. Also marketshare would negate the unfair competition argument I guess.