1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chromebooks: Are they suitable for PCGE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by contactpaulforbes, Apr 10, 2018.

1. contactpaulforbes

contactpaulforbes New commenter

Hello all,

Anticipating starting a School Direct PGCE this September and need to get myself a new laptop as my old one is creaking at the rivets.

Chromebooks seem to be the thing students go for now as they're cheap and useful but there are some reports they're not compatible with the websites required by teachers e.g. Mathletics.

Has anyone got experience with these? Should I stump up for a laptop or even a Mac or is a chromebook versatile enough?

2. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

I'd go for a PC. You can get a pretty decent basic one for not much more than a Chromebook. Macs are unnecessarily expensive for what you are saying you need.

contactpaulforbes and Yoda- like this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Mathletics will run fine on a Chromebook. Whoever told you it doesn't it probably just experiencing some issues with Flash (or equivalent) being blocked by the browser.

However, I don't thinks that Chromebooks are good for much more than browsing the internet - Get a proper Windows laptop and a free subscription to Office 365.

4. jenki2

jenki2 New commenter

This is something I have been looking into myself, I discounted the chromebook in the end.
    Its getting a balance of something functional and lightweight for hauling around, but something with enough capabilities and software compatability.

I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy and also the Surface.

contactpaulforbes likes this.
  5. contactpaulforbes

contactpaulforbes New commenter

Many thanks for the responses.

6. jenki2

jenki2 New commenter

Further to this i've ended up buying this:

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...piron-5000-13-3-2-in-1-grey-10174163-pdt.html