1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chrome Books in Primary

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_John, Oct 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mr_John

Mr_John New commenter

Hello All.
    I am looking for some first hand experience comments on Primary Schools which are using Chrome Books.
    Also, are you able to get suitable software appropriate for Primary age children.
    Database apps, video editing etc.
    Thanks

2. robwilktes

robwilktes New commenter

Hello,
    I taught with 1:1 Chromebooks for 2 years and now train teachers to use them in most of the primary schools across York. The power of them comes from Google Apps, especially Google Classroom. Teachers have instant access to pupils work and view it and give feedback in real time. Pupils can also collaborate and work on the same documents at the same time.
    With regards to software, Chromebooks use websites not traditional software, although Chromebooks can run Android apps. Some schools choose to use Purple Mash or Just2Easy others find there are enough webapps out there to do what they need. You will find Book Creator, TwistedWave (audio), Scratch, Google Earth, SketchUp, WeVideo etc all run in the browser. Not forgetting the amazing SeeSaw Learning Journal. Many schools use feedback websites such as Spiral, Quizziz and Padlet. Google Forms is a good database and quiz creator.
    We have a Symbaloo of weblinks which teachers and pupils can easily access to take them to regularly used websites.
    For younger pupils, 'Share to Classroom' allows teachers to send a website, which opens automatically, to the Chromebooks.

If you're interested, I can point you in the direction of schools who are using them. The York teachers who have gone 1:1 Chromebooks never want to teach without them.