1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmassy Activities for 6th Form groups?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by minniewinnie, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Can anyone suggest nice end of term/christmassy activities for year 12 and 13? My festive word searches, quizes and sudokus just aren't up to it! I'd be really grateful for any ideas.

2. Can anyone suggest nice end of term/christmassy activities for year 12 and 13? My festive word searches, quizes and sudokus just aren't up to it! I'd be really grateful for any ideas.

3. I found the following website which had a quiz (not exactly Christmassy but certainly made them think!) which I adapted for my year 13s:
    http://www.kgsepg.com/project-id/5147-christmas-quizfrench
    I used the information in it and did a type of pictionary game in teams. I also used a basic powerpoint I found in TES resources with disappearing Christmas items and they had to guess the missing item in French. Rather basic but it is surprising how year 13s are not always au fait with this type of Christmas vocabulary.

4. hello, I did a lesson last week where I first had my AS class re-order a very basic nativity story in French then use it to help them act out the story with finger puppets (plenty online e.g. http://hartofthemountain.blogspot.com/2010/12/printable-nativity-finger-puppets-now.html) and we then watched them all. Plenty of hilarity, very little prep, and yet I still felt it was a worthwhile lesson.
    HTH

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I've just done a general knowledge quiz with my Y12 which I found on www.frenchteacher.net (in resources > A-level > Discussions > end of term quiz). Because I asked them the questions in French (I did 5 per round), they actually ended up talking in French to each other, which they rarely do! I was absolutely elated to see that going on. I think they liked it better than yet another "this is how you say reindeer in French" kind of thing.

6. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

With my 12 and 13 groups last year I showed them "Moi, j'aime skier" by Pigloo then I gave them the lyrics with some of the words blanked out and they had to fill them in.
    Also I made them identify the verbs and tenses/moods used. There is a lot of good stuff in there: subjunctives, vient de..
    They thought it was going to be a skive but they had to work really hard. [​IMG]

7. That sounds such a great idea, and I even have nativity finger puppets at home for my own children. Merci beaucoup!

8. I've just downloaded it Noemie, it's fabulous. I use that website lots and can't believe I haven't spotted it before. As an extension activity, I might collate some of the more simply-phrased questions for them to translate into French then ask to each other.

9. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I posted an article about the origins of the 25th December on frenchteacher.net just two days ago. Quite dry, but interesting enough.