1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Aug 22, 2019.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Had a lovely lunch at the pub at the end of my road yesterday - slightly marred by the presence of a fully dressed Christmas tree, complete with flashing lights! :eek::eek:

Apparently the staff were told by Greene King to put it up, to promote booking for Christmas meals! The kind of gesture which would ensure I DIDN'T book a Christmas meal there.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'd have walked out.

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Nah - food's good and cheap. We just sat so we couldn't see it.
    Staff were clearly cheesed off about it - there had been a lot of negative. comments from customers!

4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Feedback to management!

nomad, minnie me, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Don’t mention the C word.:mad:

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No. Just no!

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Greene King are now chinese- owned.

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I love Christmas! It would have made me smile. Only 125 days remaining!

suzuki1690 likes this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Smile, tip well, hack Xmas tree down with machete on way out.

mothorchid likes this.
  10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I once saw a Leon Day Christmas tree in Spoons in
    June, for June 25th!

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Greene King was my local brewery when I was growing up in Suffolk. I used to love their selection of bottled beers - Abbot ale, Strong Suffolk, St Edmund Ale all of which you can still get but then their was Harvest a dark stout, Burton Ale, a brown ale, light ale, Crown, a golden bitter and they did their own barley wine which I forget the name of. When Greene King started opening pubs around here (Midlands) I went in expecting to try these wonderful ales from my younger days but when I asked for them the staff just looked at me blankly. Greens King now seems to be one of these corporate brands but I remember back 40+ years and it was a decent honest brewery producing great ale.

nizebaby and BertieBassett2 like this.
  12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I think the Royal Exchange was a Greene King pub - don’t know if it’s still there?

Shedman likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is it here already?

Woooooooo

14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The Royal Exchange was indeed a Greene King pub and just a very short walk from where I was born - in Eden Road. My Grandfather kept the Exchange for about 20 years around the 40's and 50's and my eldest brother was born upstairs in the pub. My mother and father lived there for a few years after the end of the Second World War until they got a house of their own in Eden Road. My grandfather had served in the First World War and was wounded leaving his left arm withered and crooked, he'd refused to have it amputated. However, he was perfectly able to pull pints with his bad arm and so found worthwhile employment as a publican.

In those days the pub was just an ale house that sold only beer but no spirits. My grandmother had a lucrative sideline in selling hot cheese rolls and did a roaring trade at the weekends when the cinemas turned out. In those days there were a number of picture houses in Haverhill, the old Playhouse and one down by the side of Barclays bank that became Hart's motorcycle shop and others that I don't know about.

As a young child in the 50s/60s the high street would be heaving on a Friday and Saturday night with people coming in from the outlying villages to frequent the pubs along Hamlet Road, the High Street and Queen Street: The Australian Arms (gone), The White Hart, The Royal Exchange, The Ram (gone), The White Horse (not the White Horse in Withersfield, this was opposite Chapman's, gone), The Bull, The Bell (gone), Queen's Head, The Woolpack, Rose and Crown and The Plough (gone) which was opposite the cemetery. An old saying in Haverhill, 'You know you ain't a lot of good when you take a left turn at The Plough'.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes it is still there and has good reviews on trip advisor. Grandad would be pleased.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  16. BertieBassett2

All those establishments! I don't remember the Ram, though. What became of the Bell?

17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The b
    The Bell is now a wine bar I believe. Follow the link for the Ram. https://suffolk.camra.org.uk/pub/1428

18. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Ahem - I'm sorry to say this, but I started my Christmas craft projects last week... I'm determined to be on top of things this year, and not leave it all until the last week of term! If I get it right, it'll save me a fortune in buying presents.

How many days to go?

bombaysapphire likes this.
  19. BertieBassett2

Ah it closed in 1975 - no wonder I don’t remember it!

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I already have my Christmas Cards - perhaps I'll write them now to save time.