1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wish List

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sauce, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Recently lots of people have been asking me what I would like for Christmas. I have no idea! So thought I would ask on here what food-related gifts you would like to get this Christmas. Might help me come up with some ideas.

2. Now you're asking! Depends on budget I guess, now where did I put that Lakeland catalogue? I'd like a Kitchen Aid mixer....one can dream!

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Some Huntly Herbs spicy pumpkin chutney.
    a microplane grater for parmesan as I bent the bandle of my last one
    a Philips icecream maker- the one where only a disc has to go in the freezer, not a whopping great bowl.
    a new wooden spoon, with one flat edge- my old one has split
    a new apron

I'm easily pleased! Mind you, what I'd really like is an oven that works like an oven, not a grill, a grill that works at all, and all four gas rings to work at once. While I'm in la-la land, a fridge not quite as old as me would be lovely too. And wouldn't it be lovely if the cooker hood worked? And units I didn't have to regularly screw the hinges back in... One day the kitchen fairy will bestow a lovely new kitchen on me...

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A whole Jamon Iberico
    Some lovely Japanese knives
    A KitchenAid
    An ice-cream maker
    Lunch at The Fat Duck/The Waterside Inn/Alain Ducasse

These all cost a small fortune, mind. Hence why we don't have them or haven't been (yet!)

5. Ooh, I'd like some of those too.

6. A Kenwood chef mixer - but nowhere to put it [​IMG]
    New pinny
    An espresso machine
    A souleiado tablecloth

7. A KitchenAid mixer for sure!
    A breadmaker (I moved country and I had to leave mine behind [​IMG] )
    Those different coloured knife sets you can buy, in a knife block (I saw this online). No idea about the overall quality of the knives but they'd look so pretty on my worktop! (I rent my apartment and everything is white...white white white...so I'm constantly on the look out for brightly coloured kitchen implements!)

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Ohhhh....where to begin?....

Some more Chutneys/Pickles/Relishes from that farm shop we visited a week or so ago.
    A jar opener (Lakeland do a nice one!)
    One of those combined cooker/blenders for soup making (Lakeland do a nice one!)
    'Everyday and Sunday' Cookbook
    'Schooldinners' Cookbook
    Cranks Cookery Bible (Well, that thief is clearly not going to return my copy!)
    Pate de Foie Gras (the ethical sort!)
    Jelly Belly Jelly Beans (The only jelly beans worth having!)
    Gentleman's Relish (I love the stuff on hot buttery toast, and have finished my last pot!)
    Some Kilner Jars

Dinner at Rick Steins (Which would involve booking out the whole place as I don't 'do' other people...and a chauffer to get me there from the East Coast!)

Calorie-free/Fat-free/Guilt-free Chocolate ...that still tastes amazing and still has all the cooking properties and emotional lift of standard chocolate!

9. Calorie-free/Fat-free/Guilt-free Chocolate ...that still tastes amazing and still has all the cooking properties and emotional lift of standard chocolate!
    Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees [​IMG]

10. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

A Dukla Prague away kit

11. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

In cookery terms:
    I'd agree with the Japanese knives but they are not easy to get over here and as I only ever travel hand luggage only not possible to bring back on a trip. I also cannot really justify replacing my Wusthof ones which cost a mortgage six years back.
    Definitely need a handheld blender at some point
    Likewise a new coffee grinding mill (an experiment making pesto in it went horribly wrong and the rubber seal was destroyed)
    A separate spice mill might be nice as well (the pestle and mortar is great but automation makes for an easier life.
    A new set of coffee cups with saucers (saucers and me don't mix so the cups are all intact but the saucers tend to get broken
    Civet coffee - just so I can try it at least once (sounds like the legal version of Lake Kariba Goat Smokable)

12. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

We went for lunch at the Waterside Inn and stuck to their set menu. With drinks it was approx £100 per head which is not at all cheap but is within reach for a very special do. The great thing about lunch is that you have your pre-lunch drinks and amuse bouches in the garden over looking the river, lunch in the restaurant with the huge doors open to the river view and then coffees/teas in the garden. We were there for 5 hours on a sunny summers day and it was truly memorable in every way. Even their famous pistachio creme brulee was on the set menu - fantastic.

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cheers voodoo child, that's worth knowing.

14. Oh dear...... I have been avoiding this!
    Have Sabatiers in a nice block and a sharpener (all now 12 years old) and some kitchen scissors.
    Val Warner's new book - is it absolutely new? I have his eat nows, I thought it might be the same recipes.
    I got my Chef - even though we don't have enough room for it. It takes up a whole work surface which now only houses spice racks, jars, pestle and mortars and rolling pin and marble! I can't actually use it any more! Oh and the bits for the Chef take up a 1/3 of my bits cupboard - perhaps it really was a bad purchase! No - I love it! If anyone else is prevaricating go for it!
    I've been avoiding books - Mr Hollywood's bread book arrived and Climber loves it. I have no others in my sights.
    SOMEONE HELP ME! There must be something I need or desperately want. I can;t have bought it all! HELP!!!

15. You may have misjudged your audience. Made us splutter. But we had already been singing Dickie Davis Eyes (motivated by the misheard lyrics thread).