1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas/winter stories with dilemmas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tomstephenson647, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I know this may be short notice but I have had an observation sprung on me for this Friday! Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for some good Christmas/winter stories, in which the central character faces some sort of dilemma, suitable for Year 3. I'm planning on doing conscience alley with the children, whereby they decide what the main character should do, hence the need for a dilemma!
    I'd really appreciate any help!

2. I know this may be short notice but I have had an observation sprung on me for this Friday! Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for some good Christmas/winter stories, in which the central character faces some sort of dilemma, suitable for Year 3. I'm planning on doing conscience alley with the children, whereby they decide what the main character should do, hence the need for a dilemma!
    I'd really appreciate any help!

3. Just a couple of ideas. Hope they help.
    They come across their unwrapped Christmas presents. Should they look through the bags?
    They pull their Secret Santa person out of the hat, but really don't like them. Should they "accidentally forget" to buy a present so that they are disappointed on the day?
    They pull their best friend of of the Secret Santa hat. Should they spend more than the suggested £1 and get them something they will really like for £5 instead?
    He/she is sent a card which arrives before Christmas Day, but his/her parents haven't seen it arrive. They realise there is money in it and desperately want a new CD. Do they open the envelope and take the money, pretending (if asked) that the card didn't arrive?
    He/she has been asked to bring an important prop in for the Christmas play. However, the person using the prop has recently been very nasty to them. Should they 'forget' to bring the prop so that their part in the play is spoiled/not as good?
    He/she overhears an Aunt/Uncle saying what they have bought their brother/sister for Christmas. Should they tell their brother/sister?
    He/she realises that the present their Aunt/Uncle has sent for their brother/sister is nicer/better than the one sent for them. Should they swap the labels, pretending they had fallen off and were 'accidentally' put back on the wrong present?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not convinced this is the right way to go about planning a lesson...

Maybe I'm old and out of touch, but I would suggest starting with a learning objective. Then think how best to teach it, given the resources you have, and so come up with a differentiated activity that works and that you are confident you can deliver.

I do like lots of the above ideas, but do they take up a whole lesson?

It might also be a little early for a Christmas theme story...

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I know of a good Christmas story with a dilema.

It's all about these wandering homeless people. The woman is pregnant - not sure who the dad is, she keeps coming up with all sorts of crazy stories about that. They didn't time their trip very well and end up in some back-end of nowhere town while she is about to drop.

The inn-keeps and such have to decide whether to let these dirty hobos stay or not.

You could ask the children - what would you do?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL That sooo made me chuckle Milgod!

Maybe not suitable if the OP is in a church school...

7. beijaflor

beijaflor New commenter

have used 'the polar express' before. Watch the scene where the character has to decide whether to get on board or not....or plenty of other dilemas throughout the film.

8. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

I don't know if this short story is of any use to you? Hope it helps. Good luck for your observation.

9. The season of Advent the time of preparation for the coming of Christ at Christmas and the start of the liturgical year in the Roman Catholic Church, starts on a different date each year. Advent 2011 begins on the First Sunday in Advent, November 27, 2011.

10. Should Santa arrive on December 25th, which clashes with nativity celebrations, or go back to December 6th, which recalls the death of St Nicholas and his generous gifts to charity?