1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas tree + two cats + puppy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ilando, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Evening all,
    Just after some opinions really...

I really want a Christmas tree this year but live with two crazy cats and a puppy. Would you recommend buying a real one? Can imagine the dog trying to eat it and the cats climbing it! Are there things you can do to discourage pets from being interested in the tree?

2. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Put it in a childs playpen (old fashined wooden one) we did this when the children were small. Or fence off with large fire guard.
    My sister has lunatic cats that hide in the top branches of her tree and launch themselves at unsuspecting guests.

3. I'd just get the tree and accept the pets' interest as part of Christmas.
    Get unbreakable decorations and don't use any lametta (though it comes out looking much like it looked on the way in!).
    You could always take some festive photos of cats in the tree and make them into next year's cards [​IMG]

4. I have a cat and 2 dogs and have had a real Christmas tree every year for 4 years. The dogs take no notice; the cat has an occasional little play with the decorations but has never tried to climb it or anything!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

would it make any difference the 'type' of chriasstmas tree you have..i can imagine the dog cocking its leg over the tree....the cats maydo as others describe...........last one we had when we had a cat was to climb it........and then send it crashing to the ground.

6. I don't think that real or artificial makes a difference. Avoid breakables and lametta as already suggested and, if your pup is anything like mine, edible presents under the tree. Don't leave the pets alone with the tree.

7. Fake tree, skip the lights until you're sure they won't get nibbled on (I didn't use tree lights the first couple of years of having the cat) - and if you go for a fake one, you can bend the ends of the branches over on the lower branches to make sure that moggie can't knock baubles off for a quick thing to play with. I always put the cheaper, tattier baubles on the bottom branches as well since my now-elderly cat likes to lie under the tree on her back bopping them with a paw.
    Oh the other pitfall is nicely wrapped presents with curly boingy ribbon - they're great fun with the feline mind too!

8. I have a fake tree, a real one seemed like far too much hassle with a cat...imagine the pine needle mess! My cat likes to knock all the baubles off the bottom branches and then slowly works his way up. I just pick them up and put them back on again, once a day...Should've used the crossed branches trick. He didn't show any interest in the lights whatsoever.

9. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

We have an artificial tree that is very full and reaches the floor. Our cat was a bit older when she came to us, but has never seemed to show any interest in it apart from squeezing under to hide, as though in a den, at the back. Mind you she doesn't tend to play with cat toys either.
    Our dog once tried to eat some glittery polystyrene snowball baubles. I think it was the glue.

10. We often wake up at night to hear our two cats having a football match on the wooden floor with a bauble. And we keep finding baubles round the living room way after the tree has come down.

Ours weren't as bad last year, so maybe they get used to it? I tucked the branches of our (fake) tree over the end last year and it did help.
    Do the same rules for deterring cats apply to toddlers? OH is v reluctant to put a tree up with one very destructive child around.

11. We have 3 cats and, for the last few years, they've shown no interest in our real Christmas tree. When they were younger, they used to love batting the baubles but they never attempted to climb it or pull it down.

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

We had a puppy and a Christmas tree one year when I was a kid.
    We came home one evening to find that she'd eaten all the chocolate decorations off the tree and just left little scraps of foil and string tied onto each branch.
    She didn't seem to suffer any ill effects. Presumably 1970s chocolate decorations didn't have much of a cocoa content!

13. Just found my OAP (she's about 13-14) three legged cat lying under ours, legs in the air having a good game of bauble bat - someone never got the memo about getting old and growing out of being a kitten!

14. I love seeing old dogs/cats acting like kittens/puppies. It's quite life affirming.

15. Four cats and a Christmas tree. Nothing to it really. Distract the cats from climbing the tree by stringing two dozen chocolate novelties wrapped in silver paper around the tree within the reach of a cat standing on its hind legs. Replace the two dozen chocolates three times daily. Hoover up the scattered and bite-marked silver paper every hour and deep-steam clean the carpet every other day to get the chocolate out. Replace the damaged tree twice a week during the Christmas season and wash all the walls and windows throughout the house with Flash every third day to remove the chocolate paw marks. Dry clean the curtains and any chair coverings, bedspreads, and the contents of any accidentally-left open clothes drawers twice in December for the same reasons, and again on Christmas Eve.