1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ....for those that do like Christmas!
    I've decided that I do love glitter. Decorated the house today as having small visitors at Christmas. Everything is sparkly.
    I wasn't going to bother with a Christmas tree as I usually buy a real tree then spend the next 12 months hoovering the needles ou the carpet, but bought an artificial tree at homebase for £1.

2. ....for those that do like Christmas!
    I've decided that I do love glitter. Decorated the house today as having small visitors at Christmas. Everything is sparkly.
    I wasn't going to bother with a Christmas tree as I usually buy a real tree then spend the next 12 months hoovering the needles ou the carpet, but bought an artificial tree at homebase for £1.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Coo! That's a bargain!
    I really like lametta - but I never seem to ahve to buy any. It's bizarre, it just seems to appear at the bottom of the tinsel box and, bam! Mega sparkly tree AND constantly hoovering it up! Magic stuff!
    I also quite like the fact that my own particular children are so over excited and exhausted by the actual Christmas day, that ever since they existed they have slept in, leaving hubby and I waiting exitedly for them to waken...
    Mind you, this year, as others, I have done the vast majority of the preparations, he'd better not criticise anything or I shall have (as in other years) a hissy fit. [​IMG]

4. I adore Stollen, smoked salmon with lime juice, prosecco(sp?) and the smell of oranges and apples.

I am a bit of a Christmas junkie.

5. And now I have a child I can live the innocent excitement vicariously through her for another, ooo, twenty years! Yass.

6. Good job you didn't get a real tree - otherwise you would have spent the next 12 months hoovering up sparkle and needles! I only made the mistake of using glitter once... it took blooming months to get rid of it all.
    I like Christmas and spend it doing what I want to do, seeing who I want to see, eating and drinking what (and when) I want to. We all do and we all enjoy it and rub along quite happily. It's a very relaxed and pleasant time.

7. Tomorrow, more cooking !

8. Tree lights on....real fire (simulated) on.....Bing Crosby singing on the 1950's radiogram.......coffee brewing (with tipples)....dog trying to get to the presents under the tree.....nobody else up....bliss. :¬))

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Have you tried the mini-bite ones from Aldi?
    A mouthful of heaven.
    I also love this, but I've found that it has to be really good quality or else [​IMG]

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Fess up. You've been spending too much time in Primark, haven't you?? [​IMG]

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I love Christmas!
    I love Stoillen....Lidls do a decent one for 'everday'...and Mum bakes her own - and does little mini ones as gifts.
    I love Turkish Delight - the good stuff, not the chocolate covered ones!
    I love Marzipan bear-paws (little rolls of marzipan half-dipped in high quality dark chocolate) with 'a cup of real coffee,
    I love spicy Christmas biscuits.
    I love Advent Calendars.
    I love having a cooked breakfast on Christmas morning.
    I love presents!
    I love my little Christmas tree.
    I love A Christmas Carol.
    I love Christmas!

12. I admit I went in yesterday afternoon. It's quite a nice shop - plenty of room, and because it's new it hasn't reached the tatty stage yet. :) Some of the clothes are quite nice, but I did have a bit of a startled moment when I saw the super-cheap metallic gold, pleated palazzo pants. Not a good look on anyone I suspect, made worse by the terrible material. I bought a nice dirndl skirt from the Primark in my mum's town, a few months ago.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You should have let me know, made 6 so far, another 10 to make, can't send one now, too late.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I was cross-thread jesting with you, CK
    Apart from the contestants of 'I'm a Cheerleader in Outer Space, Get me Out of Here' Xmas Special.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thank god - I didn't know where I was going to get mine. I thought I was going to have to compete in my reebok joggies!
    I'm a bit lost this year. For the first time in living memory I've done everything except the fresh food shopping. My presents are all wrapped and under the tree or in bags ready to take wherever they're going. I wasn't relying on my December wage going into the bank early so that I could spend it all and leave me struggling through January (and, as a result, the rest of the year). I'm not over my over-draft and I may even be able to consider buying a few things in the sale.
    My wee grandson (and daughter and her boyfriend) will be staying on Christmas Eve so I have the joy of watching a 6 year old opening all his parcels before I start cooking the dinner. He was a wee star last year and I really look forward to having him on Christmas Day.
    It's nice not to be so 'bah humbug' as I have been on previous years.

16. bnm

bnm

I love Christmas. It's the only time of the year mr bnm and I get to spend a few relaxed days together one after the other in our own house, doing our own thing. Tree went up on Sunday, prezzies are wrapped, meat in freezer and fresh veg ordered.
    I do not need to go near a supermarket for at least a week and I even have the ironing up to date!
    Just waiting for him to finish work now.....hopefully tomorrow.......then the real joy can begin.

17. For the first time in living memory I've done everything except the fresh food shopping
    Same here seren. Although the sun is out and I can see just how mucky the windows are - and I've hidden the ironing so I don't have to look at it.
    I shall make an early start tomorrow and then that will be it except for the papers on Saturday and possibly more wine after Christmas day.......wouldn't want to run out!

18. I am another who loves Christmas. I have had to tighten my belt considerably this year though and haven't bought presents for anyone except my fiance....and his is a garden-related present which I know he wants. I am saddened by that because I love giving people presents..I enjoy that part of Christmas. However...I still love the time of year and we'll have a lovely Christmas day.
    My daughter has done all the food shopping - and we share the cost. (She has it all delivered and gets a good store discount too so it makes sense.) Fiance buys the turkey and champagne. Daughter and I will share the cooking load...which we both enjoy.Sitting round the table with loved ones is what it's all about....
    I am playing some lovely Christmas music and the tree is twinkling...and I have brought in loads of greenery from the garden so it all looks very festive. My friend left a gorgeous table centre-piece complete with candles and bows in the porch this morning. She gardens/flower-arranges so every year that is her gift to me. It was a lovely surprise.
    I am going to a carol service tonight and friends are calling in for drinks and nibbles on Christmas Eve. I am scouring the internet for interesting canape ideas.
    It's been a quieter Christmas for me - not through choice - but it's been lovely so far. I cannot imagine the year without this lovely family time. I think Christmas is special.

19. I'm worried Seren, something strange seems to have happened to you? ;)

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I love it too.
    This morning I made brandy butter, cranberry, clementine and port sauce, and am now setting the table for Cristmas day.
    A few pressies to wrap, a few cards to deliver to locals and all ready. Love it!