1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas - this year I will....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Marshall, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

• not buy too much food
    • plan my menu for the fortnight so I don't overspend
    • not pretend that people will 'pop' round for nibbles, canapes so I need to have these ready - no-one ever comes and I wouldn't be happy if they did
    • enjoy it and not be stressed
    • be happy that it's me and hubby and we would not be happy if there were more of us
    • stick to our agreed spending plan for presents
    • chill out
    Sounds boring!

2. Ignore it as I usually do.

If I feel like cooking I will, if I want to eat sandwiches I will.

3. Marshall, that is my perfect chrismas.
    Just us 2, food we want to eat all planned and looked forward to, no visitors and a couple of presents we really want!
    The lock the doors, barricade the windows and stay in, snug and warm... until we want to go out!

4. Good luck marshall. I hope you enjoy it. I am going to stay with my vegan sister and brother in law so the food will be great.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I will buy too much food but I am going to try and rein myself in. I will make sure that extras go into the freezer to keep us going through January. A turkey for 2 of us is automatically too much but it will make plenty of helpings of turkey pie - yum!
    I always plan my menu. Planning menus is fun [​IMG]
    We tend to be pretty good at resisting nibbles here but I will be getting some cheese in. Probably too much given that Mr BS only really likes cheddar. Having a selection of cheese in is one of the aspects of Christmas that I am looking forward to already.
    I am very much looking forward to it just being hubby and me. We are going to family after Christmas but the day is just for us to enjoy each other's company, well and that of our dogs.
    I've already overspent on the plan for presents but I'll just avoid explaining how much everything cost.
    Chilling out is an important part of any holiday [​IMG]

6. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I used to always buy mince pies even though no one at home likes
    them and the nibbles which I would eat in January. Last year we had a new puppy
    and I forgot and left her in the kitchen with the turkey. Luckily we had
    already eaten our Christmas dinner and honestly the turkey was delicious. I was
    so looking forward to the cold turkey and stuffing that evening and the turkey
    curry on Boxing Day. Will be more careful this year.

</font>

7. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I've found making mince pies for other people satisfies my desire to make Raymond Blanc's pate sablee - the lightest crumbliest pastry and part of the build up to Christmas. I get the pleasure - they get the calories [​IMG]

I've ordered everything needed for Christmas food from the veg box people (who do so much more than veg) www.abelandcole.co.uk to arrive on 23rd December, which means I'm keep an eye on my spending. And for all the cake ingredients (I made ten this year), chocolates and wrapping paper, I saved the Tescos vouchers all year. I'm in budget so far... Just need chicken thighs to make coq au vin and olives for beef tapenade. These will be frozen in advance, so in theory, Christmas will be on budget and stress free - it's the last three weeks of term that'll be stressful!

We've planned lots of walks and I'm hoping for a race meeting if the weather is half way decent, plus the boxed set of The Wire'. I'm looking forward to relaxing!

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I can't wait for Christmas - its the first with our children, first Christmas married and first Christmas in this house...we're looking forward to starting some traditions of our own. I've already ordered our meat from the butcher and I am in the process of writing a list for a big online shop. I think I love the planning more than anything!

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

This Christmas I will do pretty much what I have for the last few years...

I will go and stay with Mum on Christmas Eve and stop for a few days.
    I will allow her to make me breakfast every morning - including a cooked breakfast on Christmas Day (...left over bratwurst, soft fried egg and toast!)
    I will get a couple of new books ('real' and e-books) and spend Boxing Day reading whilst slurping on a candy cane,
    I will watch a German Christmas Concert with Mum.
    I will watch far too much rubbish TV.
    I will watch a Christmas Service on TV
    I will eat a really good Christmas Dinner
    I will pig out on my favourite stuffing sandwiches on Boxing Day

I will concentrate on these good things and ignore the fact that I am 50 years old and spending Christmas with my Mum!
    I want to wake up in the arms of someone who loves me, and who I love in return...I want to make them breakfast in bed - and then decide not to get up for another couple of hours!...
    I want to be able to have Mum come to me for Christmas..
    .I want to be able to <u>speak</u> to my family at Christmas rather than just e-mail them...
    I want to attend a real Church service ...
    None of this is likely to happen....I <u>will</u> focus on the good stuff!...

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

this year I<u> will.....</u>
    ...cook a "normal" Sunday roast
    ... insist that every person eating has a part in the production of the meal
    .... not allow the children to distract me with home made sweeties that we never eat
    .,... on Fri 23rd, I will make sue I do not need to go shopping again for 7 days - I will not stockpile an I will not buy enough food to last a month!!! (I never do, btw: it is one of my pet hates!)

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

This year I will :
    not worry about the gravy ( how come a more expensive turkey gave awful gravy one year ?
    not decide that I can take spirits ( I can't)
    not complain that no one helps but then shoo them out of MY kitchen ( I do this all the time, not just at Christmas )
    not buy too much cheese
    not go anywhere near a shop on 23 or 24 Dec ( but I probably will, as we'll have forgotten something )

12. This year I will not write a list
    I will have the freezer(s) full of yummy meals so that I don't have to cook anything other than tatties and veg
    I will not join the scrummage in the supermarket on Christmas Eve morning - mind you, last time I did that I had a row with the manager and he gave me a bottle of wine to shut me up!
    I will accept that Mr C thinks he's a guest
    I will have the house sparkly clean no later than the 22nd
    I will decide what to wear in advance, and ensure it's clean and ironed and not trust to luck on the day
    I will have a plentiful supply of prosecco

13. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

This year I will not be cooking. Have the delights of my Mum and Dad's for Christmas dinner and my sisters house for Christmas buffet tea.
    I will miss leftovers though, so will be getting in a ham to boil for boxing day and doing my own simple buffet for the 4 of us.
    I will make plenty of mince pies and a batch of my rudolph cakes because they look so cute. I will make a Christmas cake.
    I won't make our own sweets as they are never eaten and I get enough chocolate and treats from the children in my class.
    I will have dieted from now until then so I can wear what I have in mind for the day...and can enjoy an indulgent day or two as I will have earned them.

14. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Already broken the one about keeping to a spending limit for pressies :(
    • Got a list and meals planned so I will keep to that
    • Not panicking
    • Will have the house sparkly clean by 22nd - only the bits that will be seen!
    Looking forward to it - first time for ages!

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

I asked today what vegetables the family wants with the goose on Christmas day: roast potatoes and a mix of frozen green veg that we often do (beans, peas, broad beans) -- easy!
    This Christmas I will (am going to - have planned to) pare it back so that I get a rest: I am knackered from a long, stressful term and would happily just eat scrambled eggs all holiday!
    We are out on 24th, 26th and 30th and have family visiting on 28th, so I really only have 2 meals to do: I won't know what to do with myself and will end up hanging about in the kitchen inventing jobs to do!!