1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Thank You Letters to Pupils

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oopsydaisy007, Jan 4, 2012.

1. This year I was very lucky to receive lots of generous Christmas gifts from the pupils at school. I'm unsure whether or not to send thank you letters to these pupils. Last year decided against it, I just thanked the pupils in person. However, I later regretted that decision, mainly because I think it's important to be a good role model. I was just wondering what other people did or thought on the subject. I had a quick look but couldn't find another thread similar and would be greatful for some feedback on the subject. Thanks! :)

2. This year I was very lucky to receive lots of generous Christmas gifts from the pupils at school. I'm unsure whether or not to send thank you letters to these pupils. Last year decided against it, I just thanked the pupils in person. However, I later regretted that decision, mainly because I think it's important to be a good role model. I was just wondering what other people did or thought on the subject. I had a quick look but couldn't find another thread similar and would be greatful for some feedback on the subject. Thanks! :)

3. Personally, I always say thank you to the children at the time but as I don't like to open gifts in front of other children I usually write them a little personal thank you note. This has always been well received by both the children and their parents and I feel that it sets a good example to the children.

4. I usually find an excuse to write a note to all families on the last day of term generally wishing them a happy Christmas and New Year. I include a generic thank you for any gifts in that, expressing how much they have been appreciated.
    I thank the children personally as well obviously.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Something I noticed a colleague of mine do this year, I plan to use in future. She had prepared some slips - just about half A5 size - with a sort of generic "thank you for the Christmas gift" message. Then, as she opened gifts, she jotted just a name, a brief note at the foot of the page, and signed it. Nice and quick, but something as a token of appreciation.

6. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I always write an individual Thank You to each child and put them in book bags on the first day back. I don't open presents in school because there are always children who don't give presents and I would hate them to feel awkward.
    I create an A5 note (2 to a page) and type a personal Thank You, saying something about their gift......chocolates and similar gifts are easy 'tasted delicious and I shared them with Mr T and the family etc), but this year I struggled a bit with the set of Impulse body sprays! Settled for 'so nice to have a choice of lovely fragrances!' Hope the child in question doesn't ask me if I'm using them!!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nooooo....I blame them totally for me being half a stone heavier than when term finished!!! Why would I thank them?!

Mind you I thanked them and their parents at the time in person, so see no need for a written thank you as well. But I might just be badly brunged up and so lacking in manners!

8. Thanks for all the replies, and Ihave already made a start on the notes. Thanks again for your help :)

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Eurgh! It's worth writing thank you letters just to keep away from their parents!
    The joys of middle school.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I remember the good old days of being in a village middle school...almost all children came on buses. Never spoke to a parent I didn't want to.

Mind you, teaching year 2 is soooo cool and you don't get them in middle schools!

11. nmason

nmason New commenter

As others have said I always write thank you letters as I think I should be a good role model and it was drummed into me as a child! [​IMG] I always write them and try to make them personal by referring to the present.

12. I always do them too and try and add a personal comment. Mind you I found it tricky when it came to the rubber duck dressed in a feather boa...