1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Tear Jerker

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florian gassmann, Nov 30, 2018.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

A lovely story about Royal Mail. Jase Hyndman, seven, from West Lothian, sent a birthday card to his dad, who died in 2014, marked on the envelope "Mr Postman, Can you take this to heaven for my dad's birthday?", and some big-hearted manager at Royal Mail has written back to him:

upload_2018-11-30_12-7-33.jpeg

upload_2018-11-30_12-8-29.jpeg

Jase with his dad when a toddler:

upload_2018-11-30_12-8-47.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46386387

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Saw this on breakfast TV today and it did bring a tear to my eye. There are some lovely people out there. :D:D:D

sparklepig2002 and sparkleghirl like this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It was kindly meant but I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with the pretence. It's not like a letter from Father Christmas, it's pretending to be a letter from a real person who has died. I'm afraid I don't like it.

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

It doesn’t actually pretend to be a reply from his dad though.

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

For young children there is a lot of make believe and fabrication. It's how they learn and is one of the lovely parts of childhood. This child is learning to live with the loss of their dad. Going to 'heaven' isn't that what some religions believe happens so why can this child have a bit of support to cone to terms with this?

Don't tell me you don't remember the Tooth Fairy, Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny? Or similar made up stuff...

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Meanwhile in hell, Satan is going through the day's mail and say's "Another sodding Christmas wish list from a dyslexic kid..."

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A nice story FG.

Put a smile on my face... cheers.

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Not sure, They haven't actually replied as if from the dad. I think it's a lovely gesture and if it helps a little boy through a difficult time then it's a lovely thing to do.

9. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I’m not religious but I like to think the people I loved who are not around anymore are still there looking out for me. I always feel this about my dad who was always there for me when he was alive. If people close to you had a big influence on your life, that still carries on even when they are gone to some extent.

I saw this before and thought it was a nice gesture.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think that's different, everyone realises that's not real eventually and I have never known anyone feel conned by the fiction. But if this boy retains his belief in Heaven, which many adults do, he will know you don't get letters from there and might feel cheated.
    I agree that whoever wrote it had the best of intentions. I'm clearly in a minority of one with my misgivings.

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Well said sparkleghirl.

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

What's that got to do with this story. Don't be so miserable. Can't you see good in anyone or anyone's kind actions?

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

No there are two of us. I do think that it is a lovely story and meant with the warmest of intentions but have reservations about the story of space travel, Even at age seven some children are aware of the need for space craft and might start asking awkward questions. I know I would have done so (but maybe I was a weird kid o_O).

Fortunately in this case the story was accepted without question and gave young Jase some comfort but it could have backfired.

And No I'm not a grumpy old git who hates Christmas.:p

InkyP likes this.