1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Spirit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by towncryer, Nov 30, 2018.

1. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

My favourite....Brandy nicely warmed and ladled over Christmas pud before being set alight

Jamvic likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I thought this was going to be about posh gin with dodgy things in it.

towncryer likes this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Buying all our Christmas spirits in today actually.

towncryer likes this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I usually prefer traditional liqueurs (Green or Yellow Chartreuse, or Benedictine) but this year I've added a bottle of Frangelico hazelnut liqueur, having been tempted by a glass at Locale in London. I may also get a bottle of Filfar, which is now available in the UK again after a break of several years. It is an orange liqueur made by just one family in Cyprus - more orangy than Cointreau or Grand Marnier as they soak a LOT of orange zest in it as it matures).

[​IMG]

towncryer likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I think I have a bottle of brown ale in the fridge.

towncryer and Jamvic like this.
  6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D

7. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

I was going to include this post in my thread on spirituality but it is just as appropriate here.
    I enjoy whiskey, brandy (but not waste it on Christmas puddings), in fact all the spirits since I am very spiritual, but my favourite brew is Carlsberg Special Brew.
    It is not available in Barbados, nor are fireworks on Bonfire Night. I sometimes wonder why, but tourists do not notice the behaviour of ordinary people. No different to behaviour of ordinary people on the council estates in England of course, with which I am very familiar.
    Getting back to booze, which is what this thread is about, I drink Bank's beer but top it up with a splash of cheap white rum. It then reminds me of my jump ups in the Notting Hill Carnivals when I overdid the Carlsberg ice cold cans!

8. Mathsteach2

I am at the moment enjoying the Independence celebrations by watching them on TV. Because of the politics I am not moved, but I just watched a beautifully choreographed display by children on the newly built Kensington Oval cricket ground, and was spiritually moved.
    I will now have another Banks beer with a spot of rum in it. My wife has just brought it to me.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

How did you get her trained like that? Maleficent would pour it over me after pouring it into a glass if I asked for a drink.

towncryer likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Mine has been maturing and is due to be opened this Christmas.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I haven't had Chartreuse or Benedictine in years. Maybe after the rugby tomorrow.

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Cherry brandy, apricot brandy (De Kuyper, preferably) and neat advocaat! Yum! (Not all at the same time, I hasten to add.)

towncryer likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have never tried Chartreuse, but I did bring back a litre of duty free Benedictine once from a day trip to France, just to see what it was like. I'm guessing that will have been around 43 years ago. I hated its sickly sweetness and was glad to see the back of it.

towncryer likes this.
  15. Mathsteach2

My wife is unbelievable that is why I married her.

racroesus likes this.
  16. Mathsteach2

I am dissolutioned about the constant reference to booze. But that is the topic of this thread.
    The more I engage here the more I think how pointless it all is,

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I really enjoyed a Glenmorangie after our concert last weekend. But I like a peaty malt too.

towncryer likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sod spirits, this Belgian brew is like Christmas Dinner in a bottle:

[​IMG]
    ..available in not that many French and Belgian supermarkets - it tends to fly off the shelves.

towncryer and blazer like this.
  19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In the fridge! Sacrilege!

magic surf bus likes this.
  20. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

That does look nice! Kind of like Guinness...is it?