1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas presents

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jfb57, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Do you get presents from your class? Have you got them a gift? Is this a tradition that really should not happen? http://bit.ly/eADFlz

2. How awful and ridiculous for you Stephen! That's the thanks you get for taking the time out to get the presents/ and the money. I hope your case gets resolved soon.

I would get presents for my class when I'm a teacher, I would probably have two boxes, one filled with presents for boys (small things that cost less than a £1!) like little dinosaurs etc, and the other filled with presents for the girls (little hair clip, pack of pencils) and have a sort of lucky dip where they choose one. Surely that is ok?!

3. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I don't give presents to the children- they get a small bar of chocolate but nothing else, certainly nothing wrapped or labelled!

4. In my current school the giving of presents banned.

5. Last year we decided in the infant section of our school not to give the children individual gifts. What we chose to do instead was each class buy something for those less well off in world and those children who would not be receiving much if anything for christmas. as a 'corridor' we bought the class something from the Oxfam site. It came with a card that we personalised, explaining our reasons and the children also got to watch a video on the oxfam website related to their gift - we chose a goat for our class. It made the children think of others in world and realise that not all children are as lucky as them. I also felt good as my money would have been appreciated, as oppossed to buying a small cheap gift for each children which they may/may not play with and as a parent mysef, would probably we lost/thrown away. This year we have done the same and we have bought a couple of things that are school related. The chidlren will still receive a gift from 'Father Christmas' at their christmas party.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We give presents, but the PTA pay for them. Sometimes we buy individual gifts, sometimes we just buy a whole class thing. I wouldn't spend my OWN wages on the grots!

7. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

As someone earlier said they might get a small chocolate bar or similar, not wrapped or labelled - mainly because I spend my own money buying bits and bobs all year for us to use on class, normally don't bother to claim back and would rather spend hard earned money on my own children!

8. It would be inappropriate to spend on people you work for, but you don't work for the children, though sometimes it feels like they're in charge!

I don't mind getting gifts from people that are poorer than me. It seems wrong to be disapproving of that! They SHOULD be recognising that you go above and beyond for them.

And the rest, bah humbug!

I've got gifts for mine this year, but they're books. How could that be wrong!

9. £3 = 30 large (equally sized) gold coins from Iceland. One each in their Christmas card. Job done.[​IMG]

10. I used to buy a cow or some chickens or summat, from world gifts or CAFOD, and let them choose what they got as a class.

11. Hi all,
    I am a first year trainee teacher and we have been asked to get the children a small present each for Christmas which I am happy to do but to be honest I am a little bit stuck...
    Do they all have to be the same?
    How much should I spend per child?
    Should I wrap and add tags to them?

12. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Who asked you to do this? Are you being given money to buy these presents?
    If you are told to buy presents out of your own money, refuse. Teachers may or may not give gifts. If they do, that's because they have chosen to spend their own money. If you have been asked to do it, whoever asked should be providing the money. They can't dictate what you spend your own money on.
    As for your questions:
    They don't, in my opinion, have to all be the same item, but should be the same value.
    No more than £1 per child, but as little as possible if you can manage it.
    NO! Stick them in a Christmassy bag and they can have a lucky dip and be grateful.

13. The problem with that is some "healthy" schools have banned the giving of choc - AKA my school.
    We're giving them a rubber and sharpener in the card - boring i know but...

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

A tangent, but I think the message that chocolate should be a banned foodstuff is a far more unhealthy one than acknowledging that eating a sensible amount of chocolate (i.e. one flipping coin!) is perfectly acceptable, especially at Christmas time.