1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas presents

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Keep Smiling!, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Hiya,
    I was just wondering if anyone buys their class presents for Christmas? If so, what sort of things do you buy?
    Obviously I haven't got lots of money so if anyone has got any ideas I'd love to hear any suggestions!

2. Hiya,
    I was just wondering if anyone buys their class presents for Christmas? If so, what sort of things do you buy?
    Obviously I haven't got lots of money so if anyone has got any ideas I'd love to hear any suggestions!

3. Try the poundshop if you have one near you - you can pick up some good toy sets there for.... well.. a pound. Failing that, some chocolate bunnies from Lidl!!

4. I do :)
    We had a Bookman in work not long after we started back for the summer holidays and they were selling 15 lovely books for £8 so I bought 2 lots of those. Also picked up some party bags and will put a Candy Cane and a wee chocolate bar on them along wit their wrapped up book and hand them out the day before we finish for the holidays :D

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

This year it will be the set of Horrid Henry books from the Book People (2 sets). Mind you, our PTA pay, we do NOT spend our own money on anything for school.

6. I used to buy a few little gifts per child from this website: http://www.hawkin.com/

7. I used to get the children to make a box decorated with rooftop snow scene (I'll see if I can find the PCM and upload it). They then filled the box with shredded tissue. Into the box went a gold or silver bauble for each child, which each child had adorned with glitter, sequins etc and a label saying 'Handmade by XXX, Christmas 2009'.

Excellent Christmas 'time filler', I've done it with children in Years 1-3 and they all loved it, the parents thought they were wonderful, and they come out year after year to be hung on the tree and the kids remember making them!

Oh, did I mention they cost next to nothing.... just the price of 30 or so plain baubles?!!

8. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

My children have received a nice pencil or a tiny pack of little crayons from their teachers in the past. Last year Tesco had fab packs of 6 pencils with rubbers on the end, all decorated as different animals, for just £1 per pack. They appeared in quite a few classes!

9. this drove me insane last year!! thankfully my TAs and i reduced the cost by all chipping in together- i think we got them little bits and pieces from tesco or hawkins bazzare. also quite a fun thing to do is to make rice crispie cakes with them which was fairly inexpensive.
    I do remember briefly discussing with my class the potential to buy one or 2 larger gifts for the whole class (e.g. some games, cds or a dvd) rather than one small thing each- there was uproar! decided not to induldge in that conversation again...

10. I like the bauble idea. If you didn't want to make something in class as your gift you could make a batch of biscuits or something at home and give them to the children? x

11. Thank you for those great ideas!
    I love the book idea, I'm addicted to reading (as are most of my class) so that would go down really well! And thank you so much for the link to the book people website! I only thought they came into school, I didn't realise I could get so many bargains myself!!

12. I've bought my class a pencil and notepad each decorated with 'Happy Christmas from your teacher'. Ordered them from a website - something like superstickers I think it was called - for about £20 including postage.

13. butterfly-blue

butterfly-blue New commenter

I just bought some little wooden animals pencils from www.woolgarstoys.co.uk. Lots of things there with discounts for bulk purchases x

14. TweedJacket

TweedJacket New commenter

For the past three years, I link my Christmas present to PE work in school - we do a dance topic and they work in groups to choose music and create their own routine. I film them on a green screen and then superimpose onto a music video, I then put them all on DVD and bingo, that's their present!

15. Hiya
    Just bought some books at Aldi for £1.99. Some have a necklace and some have a box for the tooth fairy! Good hunting.

16. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

Hiya,

I have bought these to do with my class:

http://www.bakerross.co.uk/product-Jungle-Animal-Foam-Bookmark-Kits-EK474.htm

17. failing the poundshop and partybags (still gets pricey though if you've 30 kids) what about printing off and stapling together these......
    http://www.northpole.com/Den/PersonalizedStories/
    I'm going to go with that and put them with a card in a glitter infested evelope.

18. My school buys each child a cheap (£1) book. Just finished wrapping them all!
    At my old school the PTA bought every kid a selection box. Gotta say I prefer the books!
    ********** has some nice bookmarks you can personalise and laminate as presents, or you could easily design your own.

19. karentee

karentee New commenter

we buy the class a gift, bought mine today, we will soon be the proud owners of some sea monkeys!