1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Presents From Children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manic28, Dec 18, 2010.

1. I don't trust surveys - it is never really reliable and truly reflective of the reality.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

a quick visit to some of the parent forum sites will be a shock then
    lots of class rep collections and John Lewis vouchures

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Certainly not in the area I work (also high social/ecconomic deprivation) parents very kindly buy small gifts for the comp staff to say thank you and Merry Christmas.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Why sneer at what Mrs Brewer said? I think it's hard to refute the statement that primary school teachers are more likely to receive gifts than secondary school teachers because they see their individual pupils for more time during the week and parents have greater contact with them. In areas of high socioeconomic deprivation parents are likely to have higher priorities, and are certainly unlikely to buy for secondary staff. And teachers are comparatively well paid too. It all sounded pretty factual to me.

5. Are we?! [​IMG]

6. i have just been reading this thread with interest. I usually get a few pressies, mainly chocs or homemade stuff.
    This year we have to declare what we receive, that is make a list of what we receive from the children as well as state what we have given them.
    So on xmas morning I shall be making a list as i open my few pressies.
    Does anyone else have to do this?

7. I got a few boxes of chocs, some candles, a plant and a reindeer cuddly toy.

Im going to sound like a terrible chiche, but id rather have the fuzzy glow of knowing im contributing to the lives of less advantaged children, than john lewis vouchers!

8. I didn't disagree with what was said about primary school teachers more likely to get a present and I wasn't sneering either.

9. Join the club! 5 presents!!
    I don't think we should expect presents from children and I definitely think that expensive presents shouldn't be accepted!
    Well, you would have to be in the appropriate catchment area for that to happen anyway!
    I am thankful for my five presents (which I believe are mainly chocolates)!! Though one seems quite heavy and also quite bigger than a box of chocs, so i can't wait to find out!

10. I actually think that the class collection is a great way for parents to show appreciation. It means none of the parents have to spend much which puts less pressure on them but what you get in the way of vouchers means you can buy something you really want. As others have said - none of us need or want loads of boxes of chocolates/ candles etc ( though my own children used to look forward to me arriving home on the last day of term ! ) When I received a collective gift I was really touched - the parents who had organised it just arrived in the middle of a lesson and gave it to me so the children could share in the presentation too. I used the vouchers to buy a lovely clock which I have in my hall and it will always be a great reminder of that class. I also really like homemade gifts and the cards are often as lovely when they say how much they have enjoyed their first term etc etc.