1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Presents From Children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manic28, Dec 18, 2010.

1. I am so sorry, but that did make me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing and have a great Christmas.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Has your exclamation mark key stuck?

P.S. Perhaps children's learning is also enhanced when their teachers can spell - and liking and respect aren't necessarily the same thing.

3. You are obviously bored! lol x
    Ps Did I say they were the same thing? I would like to think my children both like and repect me!

I do have a problem with exclaimation marks and do appreciate that you only NEED one BUT I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

You seem to have a bit of a problem with spelling too...

5. I'm really surprised at the expensive gifts given. I work in the state of Indiana in the US and it's a title I school which means very poor. I received 1 gift of $1 candy.

6. oh my - you seem to have a severe case of an MBA! (Major Bad Attitude!)
    I've recvd gifts this year, as well. I'm not aiming to be popular either, but we all know that if you are doing a good job, students respect you and mostly meet the standards set...out of your positive attitude, you just may get a box of chocolates or biscuits :)

7. Erm. Is someone one up himself or what!
    I'd just like to reassure younger members of the profession that not all oldies are so bombastic. I'm retired now but enjoyed receiving all presents and cards given for Christma, Easter, Birthday, family holiday, end of year etc. I did feel embarrassed by the amount some parents and children spent but more by those members of staff who bragged about the value of their gifts. It was always the spirit in which they were given that was most important and the thanks that were included.
    Just as you I spent my career teaching well disciplined classes as opposed to trying to make myself popular with the children; as a result I have been told that I was popular with the parents. They knew their children would enjoy reaching their potential and be treated fairly. I was only doing what we are all paid to do so I am most definitely not singing my own praises like you.

8. I work in a moderately affluent (though we cover a wide range) upper school and attached sixth form.....

I'd like my kids to respect me. To be honest, some of them would probably rather put a brick through my car windshield, but thats what you get when you teach a compulsory subject (science) and require "challenging" 15-16yr old students to actually do work. I did well this year, i got 3 cards out of around 150 pupils that i teach.

To be honest, they really do grow out of it by the time they get to me (sadly), and you can't honestly expect a pupil to provide even cards to all their teachers (they may have up to 15!), however when they make the effort it is cherished and does give you a real boost.

The real "presents" will come a little late, results from the jan exams dont come in till march or so and i have yr10s, yr11s and yr12s taking modules......

9. It definitely is the thought that counts... I'm coming to the realization that my students (or their parents) think that I'm an inept spinster. One family in particular thinks I need lots of help looking after myself since in the last four years they've gotten me a toaster oven, a coffee maker, a frying pan, and this year, a set of sheets for my bed and a knife block with knives.

Also this year:
    - set of salt & pepper shakers
    - coffee mugs
    - salad bowl and servers
    -and some bits and bobs of stuff (candles, chocs, jewelry etc).

I do feel sort of bad for donating the chocs to Goodwill, but I rarely eat one box, let alone 10... I kept one as a hostess gift for a party.

Merry Christmas to all!

10. Sorry... there were paragraphs there before, I don't know why Chrome won't let me put them in.

11. I am a Teaching Assistant in a small Infant School and received some lovely chocolates from the children of the class I assist in. When I said to a mother that I really didn't expect anything, she said that she knew that, but, the gift was for looking after her son and making sure he was happy in school. That meant so much more to me than the very lovely chocolate cookies that he gave me. It's just nice to know that some parents know how much work you put into looking after their little ones. The thing that always makes me laugh though, is that the children that you spend most of your time working with don't even send a card!

12. I agree that parents should not feel the obligation to give. I am very appreciative for gifts given and say so in a general letter. But what means so much more is that they know I do my best for my children. That appreciation is what keeps me going, the sense that what motivates me is seen and valued. I certainly don't get it from anywhere else!

13. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Anybody know if there is any truth in this...?
    A colleague informed me that some authorities have a blanket ban on children bringin in gifts. Apparently they should consider making a donation to the school fund.

14. I am reading these comments with great interest. The children have been with their teacher for one term. As a parent myself I send my thank you at the end of the school year. Christmas is a very busy time for parents. Is this not a very good time for the children to think about gift giving and to take responsibility for deciding what to buy, wrapping the gift and deciding what to write in a card?
    I work with very young children, I love it if they've been encourged to write their own name!

15. sheepie55

sheepie55 New commenter

You're all lucky to get presents, as a secondary teacher I didn't get any, but I didn't expect any. I did buy a present for my daughter's teacher, the class TA and the trainee teacher. Although I didn't write "Thank you" in their cards so now I'm wondering from some of your posts if it was all meaningless to them. Surely the fact that I went out and spent time and money choosing gifts for them and wrapping them shows my gratitude? Especially as I'm a trainee teacher on a student income?!

16. Gosh don't worry about writing thank you, I have always taken it as read. I've loved this topic, it's reminded me of my first and forever favourite gift, when finishing my first teaching practice, many many moons ago on a run down estate in Hull. I was given an apron, complete with gravy stains down the front and used tissue in the pocket! I completely understood what that child was telling me, and treasured the thought for a long long time.

17. Mrs Brewer

Mrs Brewer New commenter

This is unbelieveable.

Is this just a primary school 'thing'?

As a secondary teacher it's years since I have received anything from pupils and I certainly don't expect anything. Maybe because I work in an area of high socio and economic deprivation, parents and pupils have got more to worry about than wasting cash on presents for teachers who are extremely well paid in the first place!

18. I am also on supply (having failed to secure a job after qualifying in the summer) but was at the same school for the three weeks before Christmas. I was really surprised and delighted to receive about 8 Christmas presents from the children/parents - ranging from chocolate to very nice bottle of wine. Very unexpected and much appreciated!

19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Being a cynic here, but do you really believe the John Lewis/ Debenhams survey? Is this not a cynical act to put pressure on parents to buy more expensive presents, or is it just that the people that buy teacher's presents in these stores are wealthy and likely to send their kids to private schools?
    I work in a deprived area and although the numbers are definately down this year due to the many redundancies, I have still received a fair few chocs, wine, tree decorations etc. I agree it isnt the value that counts, but the thought and a well worded card is just as,if not more valued than a present. We also have a lot of staff working in my class this last two years, so it gets expensive for parents to buy everyone a pressie, so we have received more class boxes of chocs or biscuits this year for everyone to share.

20. How cheery you are!