1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Presents From Children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manic28, Dec 18, 2010.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't get so judgmental. Our parents aren't rich - on the contrary. I just appreciate when I'm remembered in the busy lead-up to Christmas.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry - totally inappropriate reply.

All the same, the financial aspect apart, I still think you should just be glad that you've been acknowledged as someone worth remembering.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

No apology necessary.
    I can see that my comments could be perceived as ungrateful, and that is not my intention. Merely that I have felt more valued in the past by gifts of lesser value accompanied by a thoughtful word than I have this year by more expensive gifts.

4. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

I agree - a personal message in a card, or even better a quick 'have a lovely Christmas' is great.
    Having said that have noticed a drop in amount of presents in last year or two - maybe it's because we seem to have so many adults in school - in my class me, TA, 1 to 1 TA, BTEC student twice a week and a 4th yr B'ed trainee this term!
    Happy Christmas.

5. I'm glad it's not just me. Even though I print my name on every letter we send out, I sometimes get addressesd by names I hardly recognise- wrong initial letter, strange spelling, or even different word altogether but handed to me by a child in my class, so must be for me.
    My funniest cards are the ones with my name on the envelope and neither my name nor the donor's name inside. It makes me very careful about keeping the envelope until I've read the card. Then we have the excitement of "Can I guess whose writing it is? or, "Who gave me a card with this picture?" and sometimes "Who put a small square envelope with my name on in the Christmas post-box this morning?"
    Like others on here, I love a word of thanks.

6. manic28

manic28 New commenter

'i hope you have a nice christmas'
    red pen
    'I hope you have a nice Christmas'.

7. Actually, I think that's a brilliant present and shows what the commumity thinks of you - lovely thoughts!!

8. Much nicer than the box of chocolates etc, was the card from a parent which said 'Thank you for the care and patience you have shown to .... in helping her settle into a new class.'
    And the cards written by children themselves. with 'lots of love and kisses... '

9. ellephantf

ellephantf New commenter

Not that I don't appreciate the thought behind the presents - far from! But I actually feel guilty when I receive presents as some families could do withthe money themselves. My favourite types are the home made ones - one of my children made me a bookmark - she knows how much I love reading and spent the time to do that - I was so touched.

10. I didn't get anything this year. I'm teaching PPA. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

11. teachers-pet

teachers-pet New commenter

Well, I work in an inner city school. So hand made cards are the norm. Sometimes I get some nice things, but its the thought that counts. I wouldn't change schools for the world...

A child from my school was once so amazed to find a gold coin chocolate in the advent calender display for him. But the most touching moment was when he gave it to the teacher, who reassured him it was his to keep.

12. james190370

james190370 New commenter

I have to agree with you, I have just started a PGCE course as a mature student. For the last ten years I have been fortunate enough to receive countless bottles of vintage port, champagne, Harrods hampers, gift vouchers and even a flat screem TV. This year I received four hand written cards, a couple of hugs (all in front of the form teacher!!) and lots of smiles when I told the class that I would be in their class for my six weeks placement. The smiles, hugs and cards win hands down!!!

13. Albert-Einstein

Albert-Einstein New commenter

If I receive then I also give.

I am an athiest but still buy a big box of chocolates at Xmas to share at work lol

14. I'm a supply teacher with several weeks of ongoing work. I was amazed to get birthday presents a week before we broke up, but to get Christmas presents as well stunned me! The best thing for me though, was the hand made cards and pictures done at home! I felt great! On an equal footing was the cheer I received when I said I'll be back after Christmas! :)

15. I'm a supply teacher with several weeks of ongoing work. I was amazed to get birthday presents a week before we broke up, but to get Christmas presents as well stunned me! The best thing for me though, was the hand made cards and pictures done at home! I felt great! On an equal footing was the cheer I received when I said I'll be back after Christmas! :)

(I don't know what my Christmas presents are, as I've sent them to Santa) ...

16. My school isn't in anaffluent area but we do get quite a few presents. I had a lovely refillable perfume handbag atomiser from a little Polish pupil who struggles with English as yet but has loved every bit of our Christmas celebrations. My favourite was a Meerkat calendar and diary - our lietracy text was Meerkat Mail, must have made an impression!

17. All I got was FLU

18. I got a few presents this year and for the first time they took notice of the "I'm not a lover of chocolate" I didn't get any.
    The best present I ever got was a bag of Walkers chilli sensations last year, bought by the child and wrapped in newspaper. Meant more than any nice bottle of wine.

19. In 30 years of teaching I have never received a Christmas present from any pupil. Maybe that is because I have spent my career teaching a well disciplined class as opposed to trying to make myself popular.

20. What a rediculous comment!!!!!!!!!! Children learn best when they are having fun and they like/ respect their teacher. Sounds like you should retire!!!!!!