1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Presents From Children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by manic28, Dec 18, 2010.

1. manic28

manic28 New commenter

I feel bad.

I caught myself scanning chocs/cards/gifts for M&S and John Lewis stickers. Awful! I'm not normally like that!
    I always lay on the 'I never expected anything' speech, but secretly I love it. And come on, a lot of the gifts we are given make great stocking fillers for friends!
    A selection of the gifts I was luck enough to receive include:
    • morning coffee set from Sainsburys
    • choc cookies from John Lewis
    • 1 (decent) bottle of red
    • chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate
    • lynx set
    • wallet & pen set
    The red wine has now long gone! Hope I can snap out of scanning cards and gifts for labels. Quite rude! I wouldn't mind but I even enjoy Aldi's own red wine!!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would be surprised not to get ANY presents, but I need to work in a different catchment if I want John Lewis and M&S gifts.

I rarely use or keep all gifts, but certainly appreciate the fact the children (and parents) have bothered to give me anything at what is a very expensive time of year for families.

Chocolates, toiletries, biscuits and jewellery were the main gifts this year.

3. £100 in shopping vouchers from a big group of parents clubbing together. Very very unexpected and very appreciated.

4. I had a sudden influx of pressies yesterday including:
    • Showcase cinema vouchers for 2x adults with drinks and popcorn
    • M&S perfume
    • Lots of wine
    • Candles
    • A handbag shaped piggy bank!
    • Cosmetics set
    • Truckloads of chocolate
    • Bracelet and earrings set from Next
    • Several bath/smellies sets
    Very much appreciated [​IMG]

5. I have done the worst this year so far - only 3 presents (chocolates and biscuits I think) I know I shouldn't expect anything but I think my first class (3 years ago) were the generous type because I got loads, now they are in Y6 their teachers got a lot too lol but I am thankful to the three of mine that did and I shall enjoy the chocs and biscuits!

6. markedout

markedout New commenter

I got a Harrods goody bag from one parent - a xmas pud, pen, bag, chocolates and a photo frame. All brand new, very generous, I thought.
    So I took the photo frame out of the box and unwrapped it and there's a message behind the glass from the directors of Harrods thanking me for all my hard work in 2010...

7. DeeDog

DeeDog New commenter

I got a few cards from the children but as for presents I'll have to wait till Christmas!

8. A friend working in an independent school got a voucher for Tiffany - a few parents clubbed together.........

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

10. I wish - nothing when you're on supply so renjoy and appreciate what you did receive

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our very generous parents(in an area of depravation) have sent in small gifts for our regular supply staff and for students It really is kind

12. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

Our parents are lovely and always give presents to teachers. This year money is clearly tight for them (not surprised: quite a lot of redundancies in the autumn among my class's parents) and there were a lot more homemade pressies and cards - biscuits, peppermint creams. One kid decorated me a bauble for my Christmas tree and another one wrote me a poem which she'd put in a frame. I got a couple of thank you letters from parents in my Christmas cards, too, which meant the world to me. As ever I'm very touched by their generosity. Merry Christmas, Year 6.

13. I have beaten you..........1 present.
    I ought to be thankful I suppose...... no chalky/tacky ornaments from £1 shop and definitely no chocs!!

14. I can match you! 1 present for me this year. A box of chocolates which i was very grateful for. First time in 13 years i've only received 1 present though. I can't believe that some teachers receive the expensive presents that they do!!

15. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

This year the usual pile of presents was reduced to a handful. I don't actually mind the lack of presents so much as the lack of thank you's on Christmas cards. Then on the other hand there are so few parents I could thank for supporting their child in this year's class that I suppose we're quits.
    Those pressies I did receive were in all except on case, delivered by parents/guardians who came especially to say how pleased they were with their child's progress. That meant I could say thanks in person and save on the thank-you notes. I sent children home with gifts whether or not they brought one.

16. I was in Kath Kidson the other day and overheard a mother asking her primary aged daughter which wallet her teacher would prefer (ranging from 20 to 40 quid). I was shocked at how much some parents spend on gifts for teachers. (although reading some posts I see that this is not unusual)
    I got 1 prezzie this year, a box of chocs, which I have given to the lady who cleans my classroom as an extra gift as chocolate gives me migrane.
    I had one parent come to apologise for the lack of a present and explain that she was struggling to afford presents for her children. I work in quite a deprived area and thought that it was so sad that she felt that she had to buy me something.

17. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I know what you mean. I've moved from a school where I used to get a reasonable array of gifts, but most importantly the occasional card from a parent and/or child valuing my work. This year I'm in a school with more gifts, but less thought.
    And it really is the thought that counts.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

The card itself is surely a thank you. Does it have to be spelt out?

19. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I know it sounds ungrateful to say otherwise, but I'm afraid that's not my perception.
    Card-giving is a ritual which children enjoy (and well they might), but for which no thought is required; much less on the part of parents.
    While I am very grateful for those families who do consider me at this time of year, they pale when compared to the families who spend just a few moments to write something more than merely my name and theirs. (Although extra points for anyone who spells my name correctly, and with a capital letter [​IMG] )