1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Presents for the department?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Crayon_junkie, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Tis the season to be jolly (well almost) does anyone here buy their staff Christmas presents to show their appreciation?
    Last year I got my department a personalised mug each, but am lost of ideas as to something else which is £5-10 (preferably closer to £5!) and looks like I've made an effort and thought of them...I've already bought a small box of chocs each (that were on offer!)
    Do you buy gifts? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Hi,
    Tis the season to be jolly (well almost) does anyone here buy their staff Christmas presents to show their appreciation?
    Last year I got my department a personalised mug each, but am lost of ideas as to something else which is £5-10 (preferably closer to £5!) and looks like I've made an effort and thought of them...I've already bought a small box of chocs each (that were on offer!)
    Do you buy gifts? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Honestly, a box of chocolate and a nice thank you card is all I would have expected from my HOD. One year I got a flower pot, it was a nice gesture.

4. Mine are mostly men, so they mostly get a bottle of beer for a couple of quid each!

5. M&S had a really nice range of small gifts last year, enough different ones to personalise the gifts.

6. Our HOD gives us a bottle of wine each - a very nice gesture but I feel embarassed (sp?) receiving it as, with 12 staff in the dept, it represents quite an outlay. A card and a box of chox from petty cash to share at a dept meeting would probably do the trick!

7. I buy lots of cheese, pâté, cold meats, quiche, salad stuff, mince pies etc and lay it out as a nice meal for everyone to show my appreciation, It's like a shared lunch but I provide it all. Goes down quite well.

8. No presents from me, they get paid well enough to do the job and are treated extremely well. They are very fortunate to work in a great school and department. I am always running around helping them, so if anything they should be buying me the gifts, and not vice versa. Ha ha.

9. writersblog

writersblog New commenter

Seasons greetings! I know it's a bit post-christmas now, but I thought I would let you know that I bought my department all a bottle of bubbles ( pink champagne - not the real McCoy) and I dressed it up with a bit of curly ribbon, accompanied by a card. This cost less than £5 and the bottle of bubbly was purchased from a store of prestige and high quality! Hope this helps... There's always next year!