1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas present ideas

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

I have no ideas or inspiration for christmas presents.

What have you bought for people this year? What's the best present you've ever received? I'm desperate for ideas!

Thank you

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Best present was a hue lamp to wake me up gently... Or not. I use it every day and it replaced a bedside touch light.

Jamvic likes this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Food and or/drink. It doesn't even take any imagination. Always a winner.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I can think of things I would never want over my doorstep ever again....
    a set of cheap bright orange (NO not the Le Creuset orange shade) with hideous pale grey teflon inside. They were simply horrid and were consigned to cleaning out the fish tank duty.

My big beef with the ex was all I wanted was for people to shop...look at things and know what I would like..... is how I do/did Xmas shopping ....

I don't really do "vouchers".... or being asked what I want.....

It isnt rocket science that I like nice earrings.... so you couldn't really go wrong with those.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Think of each person you are buying for in turn, their interests, hobbies, personalities, likes & dislikes, then buy things that you think will make them smile. For anyone between 13-17 then cash or Amazon vouchers would probably be more appreciated.

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

This! Marks and Spencer sell really nice foodie gifts.

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I made a load of Black Cherry wine. Giving it out at Christmas. I'll get my mother the usual - some sort of baked meat from M&S. No point in trying to get her anything thoughtful as past years have shown it to be a wasted effort. She doesn't like anything apart from the said meat.
    With that said, I enjoy buying things for my husband and daughter that I know they'll love - books, music, clothes etc. Vintage ties are always a good choice for my husband and I also got him a lovely eau de toilette which I know he'll really like (Neroli Woods from Banana Republic - smells amazing)

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Our stand-bys are:

Something to wear - hats, scarves, gloves are easy at this time of year. In recent years I've got the family very fancy quality socks which have gone down surprisingly well.

Something to eat.

Something to read, not too weighty. Good for dipping into while everyone else is doing something you don't want to do like that "great" film you hate. Not too lightweight though, avoid all the little humorous books that proliferate.

NOT vouchers - I want a present, not another bleddy shopping trip.

needabreak and Dragonlady30 like this.
  9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I am usually on the lookout for presents for my family from about February!! I wish I had the time to make things-years ago my sister made sloe gin. It was absolutely wonderful. Maybe it's a good idea she never made it since :confused::confused::confused: Where possible, I tend to buy or make unusual but appropriate gifts. I think I enjoy the searching and buying more than the receiving. :D:D:D

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Crustacean lobster cotton fabric
    A d120 die
    Almost Lost Arts by Emily Freidenrich
    Tantric Game
    A magic square (Rubik's like) cube
    Maths playing cards
    The Right way to Play Bridge
    Humble P, A comedy of Maths Errors
    A bike
    A pc monitor
    Chocolate and things

11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We don't really do presents at Christmas in my immediate family except the children. We buy little things for each other when it takes our fancy.
    Simples!

mothorchid and needabreak like this.
  12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My husband gets anything with a bike on it. Ditto for cello playing son, pianist son, go playing son, seamstress daughter in law and cloud loving son. They know now never to express a passing interest in anything!

I like sweets.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

My favourite ever present is a picture by my son when he was about 8 which I went on to frame-I can see it now from my seat. He meant it to be a rose, because that is how an eight year old boy wants to please his mum, but to me it will always be Fred Flintstone in red, because that is how an eight year old boy holds a paint brush.

mothorchid and needabreak like this.
  14. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Here's one for the 3 Wise Men:

[​IMG]

Jamvic and smoothnewt like this.
  15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Depending on your friends/family, would a lovely bouquet of flowers or a houseplant be acceptable?
    I don't drink, and make no secret of it, but I get given booze by people, so although I am (I hope) suitably grateful, I feel a bit sorry.
    Shower gel is always useable and smells nice. People don't tend to buy themselves posh smellies, so it is a bit of a treat to have some, I think.
    We all have loads of STUFF, so unless I know someone needs/wants a specific thing, I often think about things you can use up/eat etc which don't hang around for ages.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

So far...

A handmade bag.
    Earrings.
    A handmade wooden dish
    A handmade lampshade
    A bottle of local honey mead
    A handmade glass soap dish.
    Handmade Chocolates
    Driving lessons
    Books

I like to go to the local Xmas markets in the villages. Some of the stall holders are so talented and make the most gorgeous things.

17. Doitforfree

Reading this thread makes me realise how important it is to know someone well if you're going to buy them a present they will actually like! One person's favourite gift would be another's absolute no no! We don't use perfumed products, so anything with a smell is just a nuisance that I have to discreetly dispose of. I hate flowers and plants but I love sweets, but only about five kinds. I don't like homemade edible gifts, especially if children with their snotty hands have been involved in the making. I do like any kind of thick woolly tights. But other people would hate these items.

There probably aren't many people who wouldn't like a well chosen book.

18. Doitforfree

My husband is a brilliant present buyer. He gets me things I didn't know that I wanted, but I actually did. One morning I came downstairs and he gave me a small package, and said, 'Today you have been married for exactly half your life.' The gift was a coffee presser which was EXACTLY what I wanted. Very romantic!

smoothnewt and bonxie like this.
  19. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

He knows the date that you are going to die?! It sounds like a threat to me!

Bedlam3 and lilachardy like this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter