1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas present ideas for 3 yr old with autism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by amyclare, Dec 6, 2011.

1. My son is three but has global development delay and a severe communication difficulty - his dr has told us that he will prob be diagnosed with autism in a few years time. He loves musical toys, but I think we have most of the Vtech range already and am after something a little bit different for him for Christmas this year.

So I'm trying to find him a toy that will challenge his motor skills - he's just learning to push/pull levers etc to make things happen. His Grandma has a wonderful toy from John Lewis and I want something similar but can't find anything.

Grandma's toy is a shape sorter but the shapes all have levers/buttons/twisty bits on them that make bits pop out of the shape to turn the shape into an animal - eg the triangle turns into a fish with three pop-out fins. The shapes then go into a sorter which is a truck that plays all sorts of sounds. It's a perfect toy for my little one, but Grandma already has it and I'm sure there must be something similar somewhere...

http://www.johnlewis.com/230400279/Product.aspx

Hoping someone might have a suggestion? It has to be very simple - 12 month+ toys are usually good for him at the moment - but doesn't really matter what it costs :) Thanks.

2. My son is three but has global development delay and a severe communication difficulty - his dr has told us that he will prob be diagnosed with autism in a few years time. He loves musical toys, but I think we have most of the Vtech range already and am after something a little bit different for him for Christmas this year.

So I'm trying to find him a toy that will challenge his motor skills - he's just learning to push/pull levers etc to make things happen. His Grandma has a wonderful toy from John Lewis and I want something similar but can't find anything.

Grandma's toy is a shape sorter but the shapes all have levers/buttons/twisty bits on them that make bits pop out of the shape to turn the shape into an animal - eg the triangle turns into a fish with three pop-out fins. The shapes then go into a sorter which is a truck that plays all sorts of sounds. It's a perfect toy for my little one, but Grandma already has it and I'm sure there must be something similar somewhere...

http://www.johnlewis.com/230400279/Product.aspx

Hoping someone might have a suggestion? It has to be very simple - 12 month+ toys are usually good for him at the moment - but doesn't really matter what it costs :) Thanks.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theres this http://www.specialneedstoys.com/uk/fine-motor/281-screw-block.html £13.75 + tax at http://www.specialneedstoys.com/uk/59-fine-motor
    but what about a giant bubble maker?

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I suggested this site on a different thread....I'm not on commission, honest!
    www.kidstoyworld.co.uk
    For your lad, Iad be thinking of a wooden train and track.
    Coordination skills will be developed pushing the train along the track, manouevering it through tunnels et.c.
    There's scope for communication skills as he makes train noises and maybe speaks for the conducter/passengers.
    And if he likes it, you can think of buying extra track or a new train or scenery for later birthday/Christmas gifts.

5. Sensory websites usually have a good selection of toys for all ages.

6. Thanks for your replies. Bethannie, he isn't at the stage of playing with trains etc yet unfortunately - he doesn't do any form of imaginative play. I'm so excited about the day I can finally buy him a train set! He has no language at all yet, so trains and noises are a bit advanced for us :(

Will follow up the websites though. Thanks!

7. When he gets to trains, you might find that he likes lining up the rolling stock on a train set, rather than actually playing with it as a train on tracks - which is still fun, so don't be put off, just be aware that it's possible.
    Thomas the Tank Engine is often a favourite with autistic children, though I don't know if the new CGI version is as appealing. The attraction of the earlier tv episodes voiced by Ringo Starr - and then another Liverpudlian whose name I can't remember - was that the faces on the trains are very clear, and the emotions very explicitly described. "Thomas was cross", with a picture of Thomas with a very cross face, for example. Perhaps some Thomas books? I know they're not musical, but they might still appeal?

8. http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/toys_games_wooden_toys/Wooden-Activity-Cube/10000002243

This is from the Great Little Trading Company - lots of really nice wooden toys, quite expensive though.

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter