1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas play

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fuffybunny, Oct 24, 2011.

1. What does your school normally do for christmas nativitiy (catholic school by the way)?
    We normally do have proper play which involves weeks of rehearsal and nursery to year 2. I want to do something different this year as I think that spending hours rehearsing is a rediculous waste of time....

thanks!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If each class takes a different part of the play they can rehearse their bit whenever the want without the stress and boredom of mass rehearsals.

However it is important, especially in church schools, to have a nativity and teach children the school belief about Christmas. Not really a waste of time from a S&L and RE point of view.

It is also an important life skill for children to learn to sit quietly and sensibly when bored brainless...they might become teachers!

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

And it adds to the community life of the school (plus can't get anything sensible out of children - in and out of school - once you hit Decmeber!!) ...

4. One school I worked in we did nothing on the school play except decide what it was going to be until 2 weeks before the end of term and then we blitzed it. It worked well.

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Also I'm sure the parents would expect a nativity play, as they have chosen to send their children to a catholic school for a reason.

How much time are you spending rehearsing? My own child's school starts rehearsing after half term, to learn songs etc, but I think that is ridiculous.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ours will start learning the songs more or less straight away in a whole KS singing practice one a week. That way they get to thoroughly learn them, without needing to read words, ready in plenty of time for the performance.

Classes will start sorting out letters to parents about costumes and the like fairly soon as well to give them plenty of warning. Then lots of short rehearsals in class and just a few as a whole KS.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Or the fact that they might not have had much choice.