1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas play - everyone has a speaking part?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Penguin1212, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Its hard to give than many children parts my old school was 4 form entry and it was impossible! We have a play, everyone who auditions gets a speaking part small or large and the rest are the choir!

2. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll know now not to force children to have speaking parts - really hoping the head doesn't want me to do this!! :)

3. In my opinion not everyone needs a speaking part - they could have "their moment" doing a dance or singing in a small group or solo - it seems unrealistic to get 75 children saying something!

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

my school doubles up on speaking parts - one cast performs at the afternoon performance and one cast performs at the evening performance. Also useful if a child is ill as all the parts are covered.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Seems very odd to give speaking parts to everyone.
    We give speaking parts to the ones who'd make the best speakers, otherwise the whole experience is too painful for words. This reflects real-life: the best candidate gets the job; the best footballers get selected for teams; the best singers get picked up and promoted...etc.
    Sometimes children need to be allowed to fail at something. I think that the tendency in primary school to make them feel successful and brilliant at everything is setting them up for a huge disappointment in later life.
    I remember auditioning to play violin whilst in primary school. The music teacher turned me down on the basis of me being tone deaf. I was a little bit disappointed for a few hours, but I soon forgot about it. I was able to banish from my mind the idea of me playing the violin as well, saving me hours of wasted time and my parents a possible fortune. And do you know, the music teacher was dead right about me being tone deaf as well. My wife will gladly attest to this.