1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Jumper days

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Deirds, Jun 1, 2019.

1. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Have I missed something?! It is only June, isn't it?

FrankWolley and Missbubbleblue like this.
  2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I love non-uniform days when we can wear jeans. I’d love to be able to wear jeans and Converse every day, especially if you were having a formal observation as it makes you feel more relaxed and confident somehow (or maybe that’s just me).

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

At the girls' school where I worked I re-christened 'mufti day' to 'dress like a slapper day' as that was what they became with the kids seeming to be in competition for wearing the least amount of clothing coupled with the greatest amount of makeup. The place looked like a knocking shop!

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And just how did you know what a 'knocking shop' looks like...;)

catmother likes this.
  5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

A report out a few days ago. Huge amounts of school data crunched discovered Christmas jumpers were a problem for low income families.

Apart from my extreme Scrooge like attitude to the growing number of dressing up events...I was a bit annoyed that people needed huge amounts of computer processing to recognise the problem. Then they used this to say “Hooray for collecting data - no-one could possibly have realised this was a problem if we hadn’t processed this data”

To be fair it was a bit of a roundabout way of doing things - the data highlighted huge absence figures on Christmas Jumper day. Attendance figures being the only point of schools, these days, ....oh, I’m going to get ranty and grumpy again...

mothorchid likes this.
  6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I thought it was an improvement when we got "pupils may wear a Christmas jumper or a Christmas item eg tinsel", but I'd prefer to do away with the whole thing. The staff at our local primary seem to spend the entirety of December in Christmas jumpers, too.

Daughter went as a witch on Roald Dahl day: she knew the book, and just asked for some suitable gloves. She was not impressed by the number of kids in pointy hats.