1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Jumper days

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Deirds, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

A group of secondary schools crunch all their data and find, surprise, surprise, poor pupils cant afford Christmas jumpers and then paying for the privilege of wearing them.

Seriously?

They never thought of this as a possibility?

As a (grumpy) Supply Teacher I have looked at the price of buying a Christmas jumper and always decide not to join in. World Book Day, and other fundraisers, are impossible for people with families on benefits.

Who appoints SLT?

Jamvic likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We dropped this last year.

bonxie likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When our children were at primary school, the WBD dressing up nonsense really annoyed my wife who didn't think it part of the school's role to do this her job to facilitate it...So our (luckily blond) son was given a hairstyle like Tintin several years in a row, and our daughter had one (cheap, supermarket) Cinderella dress she had to wear on a number of occasions...I suspect they hated it..:D

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

A lot of children have backgrounds that don't mark Christmas as another factor.
    Christmas jumpers do tend to bring out my inner Scrooge - (or trigger my spectral tendencies).

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

students cant afford it?

I could never afford it as a teacher, and there are plenty on our staff who couldn't afford it now.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I cannot imagine any school would be number crunching and find out about pupils' home financial situations.

7. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

There is also the utter waste of resources involved in producing a Christmas jumper which will be worn a couple of times only, then (usually, I understand) binned. Charity shops don't like them as they have to store them for eleven months and then they often don't sell.
    If people want to give some money to charity, then they should give some money.
    I am grumpy this morning...

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What a surprise. Another thing to add to the long list of stuff Dunnocks and the teachers at his/her school just cannot afford.

9. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Children and staff who don't want to take part feel pressured to do so.
    Waste of time for parents finding outfits for their children and for teachers for themselves.
    Waste of money buying clothes that get binned after only a couple of wears.
    Waste of Earth's resources producing these items.
    Extra landfill.

Dressing up in WBD/Christmas outfits doesn't contribute to children's learning. If anything, it tends to reduce it as some children get over-excited.

The drawbacks do seem to heavily outweigh the 'benefits'. I don't see why some schools still do these things.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I passed my revolting but cheap Christmas jumper on to my father in law when there was an event in the complex where he lives. I forgot to ask for its return.:)

mothorchid likes this.
  11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Its exactly because of the scorn and belittling from people who are so willfully ignorant that is it so important that I keep on telling it like it is.

If you have no colleagues at all prepared to be open to you about struggling financially, maybe you should be asking yourself what that says about you

BetterNow likes this.
  12. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

I just used to pin a tacky, market stall type, 50p Christmassy badge on to whatever jumper or top I was wearing for Christmas Jumper day.

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

Existing SLT who are their mates.

smoothnewt and Grandsire like this.
  14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's

No,you are the one belittling the issue raised by claiming teachers cannot afford a jumper.

I can understand that it would be difficult for a family to afford a novelty jumper that a child is going to grow out of very quickly and that said child might not want to wear after that one day as kids don't really wear jumpers.Therefore not very good value for their money.

Teachers,on the other hand,can get a jumper that they will wear for several years and on many occasions during the length of the festive season. It's easy for an adult to pick one up in the post Xmas sales and wear it for years and years.

CWadd and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  15. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Wow, there's a lot of grumpy people here. I've got an idea, let's paint the walls beige, ban any kind of trip (after all they're jollies for the most part and little learning happens that couldn't happen more quickly in a classroom), do we really need sports fixtures? It's not like the kids learn anything on these fixtures.

It's a bit of harmless fun and last year you could get an Xmas jumper or T-shirt from Primark for three quid...… Looking back at my school memories these were some of the best days and helped to break up the monotony of the day to day school routine. One of my fondest memories of school is going in with a group of friends dressed as rock stars. I am from a single parent family and with a bit of creative cutting and sewing we turned my old clothes into a rather rubbish outfit - half the fun is taking part and the community spirit that comes from doing so.

16. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

But perhaps the problem isn't just Christmas jumper day or WBD, perhaps it is the fact that in some schools there seems to be something for parents and usually teachers to pay out for on a regular basis. Easter hat competition, walk for charity, sports day necessitating the purchase of a purple T-shirt, the school play (one of mine required a leather jacket one year and even a fake one from a charity shop was not cheap) etc.

And it is also worth remembering that although teachers are all on the same salary scale, there can be a massive difference between the income per person of the professional couple household and that of a sole wage earner with three dependants.

I'm not saying we should never do anything fun with children but sometimes a little sensitivity to other people's situations is needed.

17. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I don’t do dressing up and think there is too much of it across the primary sector.

I must confess though that the Tesco Christmas jumper I purchased 7 years ago gets its yearly outing and everyone turns up on the designated day in a Christmas jumper. Many are homemade with a tinsel belt as an embellishment.

It’s a fun happy day at my school and we have Christmas lunch the same day. I can’t abide dressing up for WBD personally.

18. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I'm glad I'm in a department that takes a rather enthusiastic approach to these things - we tend to co-ordinate as a department and have 14 Xmas fairies running around, or superheroes, one year we did Grease, etc. The list, and FUN!, goes on and on.

19. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I personally hate dress-up days, but have colleagues who plan their outfits weeks ahead, or hire lavish costumes from the local fancy-dress shop at vast expense! I’m not the sort of person with a particularly theatrically styled wardrobe, and can think of much better things on which to spend my hard-earned money than clothes I’ll wear just once a year, thank you, and so just turn up to work dressed as myself.

I do think the original aims of World Book Day and Roald Dahl Day have become lost amid the dressing-up, and the real winners are online shopping companies - last year we had sets of three or four identical Matildas, Ooompa-Loompas and Fantastic Mr Foxes, in cheaply-made shiny nylon outfits with matching mass manufactured plastic props. WBD particularly has sunk into a wear-what-you-like day, with most children’s explanations of their outfits being based on films and TV programmes they’ve seen, not the books at all!

I resisted Christmas Jumper Day for years but then gave in and customised my own because I was the only one not taking part. But before you say Bah Humbug, I should add that I do lots of Christmassy stuff with my classes, which doesn’t require special clothes to be bought.

Can’t we just do our own thing, rather than have some massive national event?

bessiesmith and num3bers like this.
  20. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

I know you are meaning to be tongue in cheek but I genuinely find it hard to see why schools do need so many jollies and sports fixtures. When I was at school ( or maybe it was the school I was at, I dont know) we didnt have many of these days out- certainly nowhere near the number I see kids in my classes doing. The point is, I am glad I didnt do all those outings. My mum would have said I couldnt go because she couldnt afford it - whether that was she couldnt afford it or didnt want to I dont know. I do recall saving my pocket money for the few occasions we were out on trips , not for the trip but to pay for the trip because I didnt want to be ashamed or embarassed by the fact my mum wouldnt/couldnt pay for it.

I do get tired now of being asked for money for my kids jollies.

As a teacher I also get annoyed. I dont have a Christmas jumper. I dont take part in WBD ( lots do). I think its too much. I once got asked to go to the school Chritmas party and bought a lovely expensive dress because it was a posh "do" . Then I got uninvited so the dress stayed in its box, never worn.

I once sent my kid to school for WBD as " Little Miss Forgetful" 'cos I forgot to get her something and that was awful of me I know. Sometimes I have kept them off school and sent them to grans rather than deal with the buying of jumpers / doing charity stuff and such.

I am in Secondary level education, so this isnt confined to primary.

So , yes I am Miss Grumpy. A real waste of time and money and not everyone can afford it. I know what it is like if you cannot afford these things or have a mum who wont afford ti.