1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas in the kitchen!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Right. I'm feeling inadequate. I wander over to Cookery every now and then, open the door and catch a whiff of exotic dishes being prepared, hear about freezers stocked with homemade soups and things and wonder why I've never heard of some of the ingredients. I quietly close the door and vow to start reading recipe books. Tell a lie, I did write down the recipe for the Boil Up Christmas cake and...I actually made it! Never mind that I burnt the top of it, it was a success! But I won't use Amaretto again because it's too sweet.

Anyway, have you spent hours in the kitchen knocking up spectacular dishes for the festive period or will you, like me, be passing off M&S and Aldi stuff as your own?

coffeekid likes this.
  2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Plain and simple I can do. I can't be bothered to mess about doing loads. I always think, "when I have time..." Yeah right.

3. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

I think it's great if people are good cooks, and i am only too happy to eat home made stuff, but I personally don't feel inadequate because I can't/won't cook stuff from scratch. I have no aptitude for it and I figure I'm doing everyone a favour by giving people ready-made food, it tastes a lot better than if i had made it!

Didactylos4 and smoothnewt like this.
  4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I can do a wee bit of baking, e.g. I made Roman honey cakes for a year 7 class a few weeks ago, but beyond that, no. My goal in the new year is to make flapjacks. I can cook the basics, but TBH very fancy food is not my style.

A few of my colleagues can do Bake Off quality cakes, so we usually have them on a Monday....

Oh, well....

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Think of the alternative.

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Do you think this expectation to do 'fancy' is getting worse. I'm sure there are even more Christmas cooking 'specials' this year extolling us to make every aspect of Christmas food like something off Masterchef.

I can remember when Christmas cookery shows (remember Zena Skinner?) were about how long to cook the turkey/make sure it's defrosted.

It's basically a Sunday roast. I might buy a couple of ready made extras e.g. posh stuffing, after dinner mints. But that's as gourmet as I get. If I want to experiment (i.e. learn how to cook properly:oops:) I'll not be doing it at one of the busiest times of the year!

7. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

We're going to relatives for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so nothing to worry about. I don't think I've ever actually cooked Christmas dinner. *embarrassed icon thingy*

8. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Congratulations Dt! Note that you can use any alcohol you like -

I love spending time in the kitchen getting ready for Christmas - it satisfies my creative urges. I love that my freezer and cupboards are full of home made goodies but I most certainly don't look down on anyone who doesn't. This is my equivalent of crafty things: sewing, knitting etc....I can't do any of that.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'll be in the kitchen Christmas Eve and Day for a bit but I'm doing things we like not things traditional or expected. And my kitchen is open to the living room so I don't feel left out - although people know better than to try to "help"!

kibosh likes this.
  10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

In the past I have spent most of Christmas eve and day in the kitchen, but not this year.
    Ours is too and there's a door strip where the lino ends and the carpet starts . . . . no one is allowed beyond it . . . they can chat to me from the living room, but I tend to watch their feet, edging closer to the boundary, with some trepidation . .;)

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'll be making a gingerbread house with my grandsons later today, it's an annual event. I do use a kit from Lidl though. Tomorrow I'm preparing a vegetarian Christmas pie for my husband with layers of different vegetables all cooked in a special way. I saw it on the internet so I'm not sure how that will turn out. The actual dinner I will be cooking with my daughter at her house. Pretty much everything will be done from scratch by one of us - it's the main event for me.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I buy it, I eat it. The bit in between is someone else's responsibility.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'll peel the veg and lay the table - my husband will do the rest. One daughter has come back from uni having turned "veggie" since we last saw her in September, but she has said she will happily prepare her own main dish to have on the day. SIL will bring the bread sauce, which she will make in advance. The gravy will be Ahh, Bisto!

We'll eat like kings and then slump into a stupor, maybe a walk if it isn't too wet and windy. I love it!

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That's what I'm hoping for.

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

All is safely gathered in. That's it. What I haven't got, I haven't got.
    Arrived at M&S which is adjacent to Aldi (best of both worlds!) by 8.30, feeling rather smug, until I turned the corner and found no room at the inn. Car park full and queuing to get OUT. Sweet baby Jesus! Walked into M&S - I only wanted their luxury, hand stretched, Italian pizza - and promptly walked back out. I was not joining a line of 60 people snaking around the store. I could make my own...
    Trotted over to Aldi and entered a haven of peace and tranquillity. 39p for a bag of Maris Piper potatoes, I tell you - and not out of date! I'll not have a word said against Aldi.
    Lest you get the right impression, I'll have you know that I got a few things from Waitrose, as well, and got my turkey and meat from the local butcher.
    This making things from scratch lark - is one allowed to open a packet of Paxo and use gravy granules? I could make a roux, if the need takes me... Obviously, I don't grow me own veg but I use real ones and peel them.:rolleyes: Actually, I have to say that my roast dinners are restaurant standard. Not any restaurant you'd care to frequent, but even so...And I will be making my own coleslaw, potato salad and trifle. There. I've made myself feel a little better on the cooking front.
    Take care, if you have to venture to the shops - it's a jungle out there.

InkyP, Alceanne and guinnesspuss like this.
  16. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

I officially love M&S food at Christmas...

17. smoothnewt

We arrived at Waitrose at 8.40am yesterday and it was fairly calm. Popped into the local Iceland later on - also fairly calm.

I then heard on the news that today was due to be the peak day for food shopping. They were forecasting maximum footfall at Waitrose at 11.00am today, and 1pm at Sainsbury's (Sainsbury's shoppers are clearly later risers).

I shan't be going near any shops today. We'll pick up the turkey and trimmings from the local butcher tomorrow morning.

18. smoothnewt

Dun: I got my mega-box of Paxo at Iceland. Lovely jubbley!

aspensquiver likes this.
  19. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

The Chinese takeaway is open on Christmas night.

Just saying.

Alceanne likes this.
  20. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

In-laws for Christmas, parents for New Year, friends for the bit in the middle. Bliss x