1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Headache....but not over Christmas!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Montana_x, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi All,

I'm starting a new job after Christmas in Year 3 and although I'm really excited, the nerves are starting to hit me. On top of that I have so much planning to do, I feel swamped! I've set myself a timetable to get most of it done by Xmas eve but even then it won't be complete. I'm also teaching computing next term and that's causing the biggest headache of all, as I've never planned it before and we have learnpads in school which I've never had training for...so I don't know if we can use Scratch at all? (Don't even get me started on that!)

I was really excited about planning this topic, but now I'm worried I'm just going through the motions and all creativity is slowly slipping away? How do others cope with planning over the festive period?

I've made the jump back into teaching as it is what I want to do, but right now I feel I'm choosing school, over time with family and friends. Already had to cancel on one friend to get work done!!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

No help to you this year, I know, but for the future... I work ridiculous hours for the last three weeks of term so that everything gets done by the end of the Autumn term. I make a list and do everything at high speed, including enough planning and resourcing to get me through the first couple of days back. It nearly kills me, but the payoff is being able to relax over the Christmas break. It's a busy hoildays without the chilled feeling of the Spring break and so it can feel like you haven't had a break if you do school work in it. That said, I still have dreams in which I haven't done enough!! family and friends are important and it's easy to lose perspective when you are under pressure.

Wishing you a happy Christmas. Hope the new project goes well. In my experience, the dread generally does not match the reality.