1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Hamper

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by scottjw, Aug 2, 2011.

1. First of all, I would like to apologise for somewhat hijacking the whole Cookery Forum, I appreciate there are three threads at the top which I have started. In an attempt to offset this, I have added a picture to my profile so I am no longer a faceless being. Also, sorry for the formatting, I use Chrome, and HTML is a pain.
    I have decided this year to create a christmas hamper for my direct family, rather than buying a generic worthless gift. I have some ideas as to what I am going to make (all from scratch) to put in there, I was wondering if people has any further ideas or comments on what I am doing. Maybe some people might also get inspiration. Anyway, here is my Hamper so far;
    Rapeseed - garlic,
    Rapeseed - Chilli,
    Jam - Damson,
    Pickled Quail Eggs,
    Brownies,
    Biscuits,
    Vanilla Sugar,
    Sloe Gin,
    Jar Cakes,
    Jelly Bean Vodka,
    Chutney,
    Red onion Marmalade

As always, thanks in advance, Scott.

2. And on this subject, does anyone know a cheap source for Rapeseed oil?

3. Fruit cake and decent cheese.

4. Fruit cake is a good one, but I wanted to make everything myself, and I am not proficient in the art of cheesemaking. But that is one of the many things on my to do list.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

picled onions
    chilli picled mango
    picallilli

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Home made chutneys and jams, pickled onions, fruit cakes, oatmeal biscuits, any local cheeses, ditto other foods eg cider/wine/beer.

7. ljr

ljr New commenter

Home made mince pies

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Take advantage of your trip to France to buy some oils, vinegars and mustards you can't easily find in Britain. Also, biscuits, chocolates, fruit in Armangnac, pâtés (in jars so they keep for ages) and terrines.
    Rapeseed oil is ' huile de colza' don't know the price as I don't buy it, but good olive oil is around 3€ a litre here.

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Don't apologise, Scott! It's great to see newer users, especially those posting new threads tro keep the forum lively.
    Do stick around.

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Pratt's do an excellent extra virgin rapeseed oil. They're local to me, on the Wiltshire/Hampshire border and they're a smallish company so still tend to supply locally, but they do stock it in Tesco's too. It's really excellent stuff.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

Aldi have rapeseed oil at the moment - or at least mine does?

12. Mini Christmas puddings (I have a nice recipe for steaming in a slow cooker), cranberry and kumquat chutney (just google it), sloe chutney (I have a recipe for this), mince pies, mincemeat, snowman soup (this is a novelty but fun if you want details I will post them), gingerbread. I used to always do my mother in law a hamper at christmas. She loved it!

13. I make mini christmas cakes for my friends - so easy and so good. Just use a really rich recipe Delia's classic cake is good and feed it well with Brandy - heavenly!

14. I second that - having tried various recipes over the years I always come back to Delia. The best Christmas cake. I use malt whisky instead of brandy - even more heavenly!

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Rapeseed oil is sold in all major supermarkets as vegetable oil. Usually there's a picutre of yellow rape flowers on the bottle but if in any doubt read the label. It's very rarely labelled rapeseed oil.

16. BelleDuJour

When making mini Christmas cakes (or any cakes) buy a Heinz tinned steamed pudding (tastes ok) then use the empty tin as a cake tin. Works perfectly and just the correct size (and cheaper than buying a special mini cake tin!)

17. No but if you go to your local indian grocer / supermarketyou can get olive oil much cheaper than Tesco or Asda. It is low grade, not extra virgin but to make flavoured oils is fine.

18. BelleDuJour

Seriously do NOT buy specially labelled rapeseed oil. It's a con to make you thing it's special when it's just ordinary vegetable oil and it will be far more expensive.
    Trust me on this one. I've just cooked saute potatoes for lunch on Sainsbury's <strike>rapeseed</strike> vegatable oil. just read the label.
    The olive oils that are found in Asian supermarkets are often olive oil mixed with a cheaper oil. Again, read the label.
    Now, go out and buy VEGETABLE OIL!!!!
    [​IMG]

19. OK some things I've don for a similar present
    Chutneys, tomato, mango and I've done a banana and kiwi fruit one that was good - basically put fruit or veg in a pan, add vinegar and sugar in equal quantities, add spices /garlic / raisinns to taste and then simmer until you can put a wooden spoon through it and it leave a trench. If you use mangoesleave the peel on one, teo average sized mangoes make about a jam jar full of chutney.

Get an mepty jar, put in in 1 or two peeled garlic cloves (I use one and put it in an oldd mint sauce jar, for a jam jar I'd use 2) add olives (you can slice them to make them look pretty), sliced mushroom, slices of peppers, capers and if you like anchovies them as well.
    Cover with olive oil, put the lid on and tap to get air bubbles out then top up the oil. Leave for a week or two and eat or dip bread into the jar.
    Fruit in sugar syrup are easy.
    Get some feta cheese and some dried herbs, press the herbs intot he cheese so they are on the surface, cut the chees in cubes, put them in a jar and cover in oil - look really pretty and a small amount makes a fair sized jar.

20. BelleDuJour

Sounds really yummy!