1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas gifts from pupils - are you 'allowed' to accept?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Feenie, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Have read something online this week where a teacher makes various claims about schools in which she has worked regarding Xmas gifts - e.g a school where staff are not allowed to accept a gift worth more than £3, or another school with a 'gift bin' - every gift goes
    straight in, you can apply to take something out if you particularly want and give a donation to school funds, but most are just thrown in the skip at
    the end of term,. They are not kept by the staff they were given to.
    She claims this is council policy in Manchester and London - any ever come across any gift practice weirdness like this at their school? [​IMG]

2. Have read something online this week where a teacher makes various claims about schools in which she has worked regarding Xmas gifts - e.g a school where staff are not allowed to accept a gift worth more than £3, or another school with a 'gift bin' - every gift goes
    straight in, you can apply to take something out if you particularly want and give a donation to school funds, but most are just thrown in the skip at
    the end of term,. They are not kept by the staff they were given to.
    She claims this is council policy in Manchester and London - any ever come across any gift practice weirdness like this at their school? [​IMG]

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

No, we keep our gifts.

4. Ditto - LA's policy appears to be 'keep them'.
    My wife usually comes home heavily laden with boxes of chocolates, a goodly supply of new 'teacher' coffee mugs, perfume, fridge magnets etc etc Last year she received a bungee jumping voucher and a helicopter pilot lesson voucher!
    I tell parents that I would rather they spend the money on useful items for the classroom - pencils, crayons, rubbers, rulers. glue sticks, reams of paper/card etc - all the things that I am fed up with having to dip into my own pocket for because the school budget pot for them is empty.

5. Our LA policy is that any council staff must declare a gift worth more than £10.
    Personally, if a child has been thoughtful enough to take the time and effort to consider giving a gift, I'd find it equally inconsiderate not to accept. Can't say I've ever had anything in the £10+ bracket. (That's not to say the 'gift' is always kept as it very often ends up being 'recycled' as a raffle prize!)
    I have heard of some schools where it appears to be a competition to buy the teacher the most expensive item and I think that's the sort of thing I'd be uncomfortable with.

6. In the autumn of my probation year a child came back from a term-time holiday with key rings for me and the 0.3 (with our initials on) and sweets for the class. I wasn't sure if we were allowed to accept gifts so asked the head who laughed and said "wait till Christmas!"
    The children there gave a wide variety of presents to teachers both at Christmas and the end of the school year -more (and bigger) than I've received in other schools. I know that some of them would have been £10+ but I loved handmade presents from the children most. The best ones though were the parents who sent treats into the staffroom -including a very boozy Christmas cake! Cakes and biscuits also appeared from parents at times of stress e.g. parents nights or concerts. Good to know they cared!
    The council do keep sending out stuff about anti-bribery laws so I wonder if that would go that way too. Gift bins seem v. sad to me.

7. Wish I taught in your schools...no gifts at mine. Only insults and grief :(

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here.

9. Horrible init?