1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas gifts for tutees!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by alsoamum, Nov 23, 2019.

1. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Please share with me your unusual or interesting gifts for tutees .

I've got 19 to buy for so ideally don't want to spend more than £2.50 per child max. I'd rather not do selection packs as some parents don't like chocolate and sweets and although I've considered book people books I'm having trouble finding a set which would suit everyone (ages 7-13).

Ideas very gratefully received.

2. suzette

suzette New commenter

Personally, it's not up to the parents if they don't like chocolate. I am of the opinion that if I give them chocolate, it's the thought that counts. They can always give it to someone else. Besides, most of the time when I get Xmas presents from my clients/students, it is mostly chocolate, so I assume they are ok with receiving a similar pressie. When I worked in schools, it was the same. I wouldn't worry yourself too much about the ideal present. Most tutees aren't that fussed about what they get & the parents usually aren't fussed about it either. The only thing I would be wary about is giving chocolates with nuts in, but apart from that, I wouldn't stress too much.

3. alsoamum

You are probably right... I was more thinking about the extra plastic to be honest from my point of view. But yes, a small token thing and a little card each it is I think!

suzette likes this.
  4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I give my students the best present in the world..

They don't have to see me for two weeks!

phlogiston, suzette, Piranha and 3 others like this.
  5. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

I give them an inexpensive chocolate and spend £1-£2 per head. Be prepared, and look out for special offers in the supermarkets in the pre-Xmas season, straight after Halloween. I stress to my students that it is a small Christmas gift! In some years, I have incorporated chocolate coins into a game and given them the remainder of the bag to take home, which delights them. If they don't like chocolate - it is the thought that counts. It is not as though they are your own family that you would be choosing more personal things for.

6. BG54

BG54 New commenter

One of my A-level students has requested a very unusual present, additional tuition over the holidays as she has mocks straight after the break.

alsoamum likes this.
  7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

It has never occurred to me to buy gifts

gainly, Piranha and bramblesarah like this.
  8. alsoamum

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Langteacher, fair enough. Good for you.

9. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Beware if she thinks it's a present she might not pay you!

BG54 and Piranha like this.
  10. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I have never brought gifts but I usually received them.

BG54 likes this.