1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas fun Bloomingdales style

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

A store catalogue isn't advertising the products?
    Most captions in this context have a purpose - they do, after all, want to sell things. I agree it's a fail. I was wondering what they were aiming at.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Presumably it's how cool people behave at Christmas parties? Perhaps it's a specifically Noo Yoik thing? What the smart people do?

3. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Why do you think that? . Its only a caption. Too much over thinking.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Someone got paid to write it. Bloomingdales is hardly the local store run by a couple of people, so I would imagine a number of highly paid people approved it. It's hard to believe nobody thought - "Hmm, is this not a bit date-rapey?"

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

And it seems Bloomingdales is not the only culprit.

[​IMG]

7. VanEyssen

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

do you not think it's right that objections should be made to language like that in advertising?

9. Flere-Imsaho

Is it society, justice or warriors you object to, VanE?

10. VanEyssen

how many SJWs emailed ths company?

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

answer the question, please.

12. spartacus123

spartacus123 Occasional commenter

How dare people complain when a company uses date rape in its catalogues?

What next - people taking offense at sexist comments -or banter as some people call it?
    I don't know what the world is coming to - people and companies just can't seem to get away with mysogny, racism, homophobia etc anymore as some people complain about it.

Noja, grumpydogwoman and emilystrange like this.
  13. VanEyssen

Yeah its quite time consuming scouring the internet for something to get offended about.

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

In my experience, Van E objects to anything he can lay his hands on.

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I can only guess from your comments, because I have VanE on ignore since I realised who it was. And this thread is a perfect example of way. Trivialising date rate, whilst on another thread belittling the experience of those who fought in WW1 and were shot for desertion. In this and previous incarnations this poster has set out to be as obnoxious as possible.

16. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

He did agree that the picture was in bad taste. But you wouldn't have seen that! I don't know what you saw or didn't see on another thread but the ignore button doesn't really seem to be helping you very much, does it? Instead of using your imagination to decide for yourself what posters must have said, would it not be easier just to read the actual posts?

What I really dislike about your post is the way you seem to be bandying about accusations of past incarnations. Remember that you need to have strong evidence before making such accusations, not just a hunch based on posting styles. The moderators don't like that sort of thing and posted on the old Opinion that there would be sanctions - I assume they are still in force.

17. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter