1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Dinner

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Sep 7, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

And I thought we discussed it early last year!
    Normally in Mr EGs family, its a proper family celebration with each of us taking turns each year. We hosted last year and I cooked turkey. This year its just going to be me and Mr EG with Scarlett and the baby as they've all booked to go away (we were going with them before we found out I was pregnant).
    I'm not sure what to make...I had thought about doing duck as its a reasonable size for the 2 of us and will give me lovely duck fat but Mr EG is adamant that he wants turkey so I may just bite the bullet and get one and portion what we won't eat up for the freezer.

2. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

There's just the two of us, so we always have roast duck, with the remainder on Boxing Day turned into crispy duck pancakes with tiny cubes of potato roasted in the duck fat and all the usual accompaniments. Prefer it to Christmas dinner actually.

I also make Brussels sprout and pancetta crumbles for New Year.

We still have a bottle of Verve Cliquot in the cupboard from last Christmas, saving it for this year now!

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Despite my reluctance of eating turkey mince or any other form of turkey, I think Christmas without a turkey is just so wrong. I love Christmas dinner with turkey, and I love the turkey sandwiches for tea. I also love the turkey soup.
    I have to be honest though, and say that within a few days, I've had enough until next year.
    Shortly after I was first married, my parents won a raffle at the working mens' club they attended. The prize was a 24Lb turkey which was ironic as they owned a butcher's shop. They gave it to me, and it was a real kindness because shortly after we purchased our home, interest rates rose to 15% and we were almost living off oxo cubes. We had a good Chrismas, marred only by the fact that the inlaws didn't feel guilty about staying as long as they did.
    And I recall the abject horror my wife of the time felt when I gave her a breakfast of turkey dripping on toast, that is, dark jelly that makes its way to the bottom of the pot you pour the dripping into. She maintains to this day I was trying to poison her.
    As we know, it takes allsorts to make a bag of licorice.
    I defy any foodie to tell me they wouldn't give up a day of their life for such a breakfast.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Hey, I have a Wiemaraner and she is gorgeous, got her from a Rescue place, she's 7 years old, I'll ask her what she wants!!

5. I'm not used to having Turkey....I've had it when having Christmas Dinner with friends, but not at home. (I sometimes cook turkey on a Sunday, but it's not a 'festive' choice)
    I love Goose. Especially when Mum cooks it - with all the trimmings....Apple Mousse, Red Cabage...mmmmmmm....but if there's just the two of us it's not the most economoical of options.
    Chicken/Capon was always a popular family choice, and we'd generally have pork with the meal too.
    A favourite of mine was the year that Mum and I unexpectedly found we'd be just the two of us at Christmas and threw convention out the window and had Venison for Christmas dinner - and home-made game pie on Boxing Day....yum!
    If I cook for myself this year, I'll go for duck - with a sour plum sauce....If I cook for Mum then I'll try and persuade her to accept duck (she sees it as too fatty - I'd love to show her otherwise!) ...If Mum cooks then it'lll probably be capon.

6. egyptgirl

That is my boxing day breakfast, MM. Delicious.

7. I've just started my crimblemouse planning.
    We try to do something diferent every year, which is a bit hard for just 2 people!
    So I start early... and then give up and get pork shoulder and bone in beef with all the trimmings.
    I also love doing lots of nibbles, freezing them back to reheat as and when we want them. I have quite a nice, extensive list and may actually make them ALL this year (which may necessitate the purchase of a third freezer).
    I plan in September and start to make in October half term. It sounds excessive but as we like to shop once and then lock ourselves in, going without other company for as long as possible, it makes sense.
    I am still contemplating a Tudor feast this year!!

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    Ahhh...sounds lovely and what a wonderful, romantic idea!

9. Yes! But as he has been at home constantly for 2 months now I could easily be persuaded to become a party animal [​IMG]

Not really. I have a little routine that includes lonely walks in the forest and Yat and along the two rivers. We just eat, drink and walk - well, eat, drink, sleep and think about a walk!
    When we get back in he lights the fire, preferably with a log, and I make something hot to warm us up again. Hot chocolate and/or little spicy scones, that sort of thing!
    We can gain a shedload of weight..... it is gooooooooooooood!

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I love the sound of your Christmas, Pobbs!
    If my poor husband didn't have to work all the hours God sends over Christmas/New Year, we'd copy you.

11. egyptgirl

Sounds idyllic. I was looking forward to having a big family Christmas this year but am actually just looking forward to be me and Mr EG and our two babies.

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I look forward to the turkey leftovers almost as much as the big meal itself. Since C spends Xmas with his dad, we have the big turkey dinner for Fakemas, as my sister calls it, on the last day before he departs. Thus, we have Fakemas Eve on the last day of school, complete with magic reindeer dust, baking for Santa etc, and wake up to presents and whatnot on Fakemas morning. That allows us to have a big family meal before C leaves to go to his Dad's on Xmas Eve proper.
    My mother has put her foot down and says she will not suffer two turkey dinners in one week, so we'll be having a standing rib roast on Xmas Day. On Boxing Day, the whole family decends upon my mum's house en masse (and I mean MASSE) so it's a full on cooking frenzy from the second school stops until 27th.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Bloody hell! In Belle Towers that wouldn't have lasted until Boxing Day (breakfast)!

14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I find this obession with meat fascinating!

15. But Lil, choosing the meat starts off the big side dishes debate. "Which veggies can we just not live without?" is a question we can spend days on!
    Once the meat is decided on I can read and plan and test all sorts of different veggies..... that and the nibbly bits are the best bits about Christmas.

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I can't agree.
    I don't have meat, I only eat nice food!

17. I used to be veggie but, like many others I know, I got seduced by a bacon butty!
    I think that is why I still prefer the side dishes to the 'main' dish of meat. But Climber would phone for help if I took meat of the menu!

18. egyptgirl

I can't believe that I didn't celebrate Christmas for years with it not bothering me and now I get stupidly excited about Christmas.

19. While I'd rather not celebrate Christmas at all this year (been an excruciatingly horrible year and I hate the emphasis on family and children and all that stuff at that time of year anyway - it hurts too much to have my nose rubbed in it), I have to continue to go through the motions - and it HAS to be turkey, it HAS to be a massively large turkey to ensure about a subsequent week's worth of turkey sandwiches or I'll have a sulking husband.

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I know what you mean which is why we haven't spent Christmas with my family for the past 25 years. My parents would never come to us because we don't have any children and my sister does. Say no more!