1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Dinner with two PhDs

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mainwaring, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Blimey, I wondered why that old one had been bumped.
    Perhaps 'bumped' isn't the right word....
    Wish I could find mine....

2. As an old thug friend of mine stated once, before he threw himself head first into a huge pub fight.
    "This has become decidedly fruity.."
    I didn't work behind the bar, but it looked like I did, crouching down, looking for some Babycham....

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Clovis-Bob's favourite tipple, as you well know, you provocative thing.

4. In fairness (I'm sure he will see it that way), he broke the golden rule first.
    I mean 'outting' not the death threat - that's perfectly ok.

5. Mainwaring

Yes, Bobb's always reasonable about the big isshoos and lyf would be boaring wivout the occasional deaf fret.
    Sory about the speling, I've just been reading the wrappers on the uvver fred.

6. Mainwaring

Good to see you Bobb! I've been trying for years to lure you back here where you belong. Pharaoh bet me ten ankhs I couldn't do it but here you are, large as life and twice as loopy.
    I know it's meant to sound sinister and of course I'm shaking in my olive grower's wellies, but do you really know where I live, Bobb? Tell me where.
    Not if the somebody is you Bobb. In fact we were both thinking of asking you for references on the grounds that a lambasting from a loony must be worth two testimonials from a wise man.
    So you're still with Beryl? Good to know that you can keep a barista better than you can keep a job. But of course I'd never dream of insulting a woman who deserves a great deal of my admiration and all of my sympathy.
    Bye for now Bobb. BTW: I've decided to spell it that way because it reminds me of Blackadder, which is one of my all time faves. I'm not sure which outfit you looked best in, the tights or the frock with the bustle.
    Keep 'em coming, Bobb. This could run and run.

7. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

mmm......Clovis, Cloud Cuckoo Land?
    I would suggest Mainwaring that you report him to the mods for making very thinly veiled threats on the site.

8. Mainwaring

Reminds me of another of my faves, the Goons:
    Moriarty: If you say that again I'll smash your teeth down your throat.
    Seagoon: Ah! veiled threats.
    Come to think of it, Bobb's 'I know where you live' is quite Milliganesque:
    Bobb: Where's Mainwaring?
    Clovis: He's in Spain
    Bobb: Then we've got him cornered!

9. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

I was actually thinking more along the lines of the episode of 'King of the Hill' where Peggy agrees to be the substitute teacher taking the sex education class. I doubt it is your cup of tea, but the ending is one of her husband's friends leaving an anonymous threat message on their answerphone as follows:
    'I know where you live, sex education teacher...........oh and Peggy, tell Hank i've booked the tee off time for 9 o'clock'

10. Mainwaring

I think I'd enjoy casting the remake.
    He may not credit it, but I'm grateful to Bobb for giving such a boost to my website. When I launched it last November I had reservations about referring to it on the TES. Traffic has been quite encouraging but now Bobb has 'outed' it I'm sure the number of hits will double.
    http://www.johnsharrocktaylor.webs.com/
    Forum habitués may find the 'Whispers from Walmington' section worth a look and the character of 'Claudius' may ring some bells.
    'No Baboons in India' which is based on our experiences in 'overseas' education will be released later this year.

11. That's not fair, M! He is not actually here yet - you've just copied a couple of cuddly snippets and put them on here!

12. Mainwaring

He WAS here at Post 80, threatening sullenly like a muggy morning in Manchester. You can see him quoted in my reply. The Mods must have pulled his post. Somebody obviously thought he'd overstepped the bounds of good taste. I wonder why. I mean, he posted with his usual wit and quaint quasi 18th Century charm.

13. Damn, missed him.
    Take a cheque?

14. Mainwaring

Bet you he'll be back. Winner takes all.

15. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Thinly veiled threats? Is he/she/it in purdah? I demand to know!
    Hadith 54.3 says that one "cannot wear thin veils and make threats" on TES fora. The sheer audacity of the man/woman/animal/mineral.