1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Dinner with two PhDs

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mainwaring, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Nice to see that you're still lurking. QED.
    Why not? You were hanging about forum last week under yet another user name trying to provoke us bad lads into indiscretion so you could run and tell teacher. Come to think of it, as your under-cover operations require a large number of aliases and you're clearly a bit of a royalty groupie, how about Louis XVIII for your next pseudonym? History records that, like you, he learned nothing from experience.

2. I PM'd that lurker, M, that and got denials that he was who you thought he might be.
    But, you never know...

3. No I wasn't, but please continue believing it was me.
    I leave that to others.
    I've learnt to annoy you Mainwaring, which is what I intended to do. You now have an obsession with Clovis/me, and obsessions, whatever the obsession is about, aren't generally good things to have.
    You're such a pompous oaf, thinking I regret 'taking you on'. I have no such regrets.You're the sad ass that's got an obsession, not me pal.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

'Pal' didn't that used to be a brand of dogmeat? and there was 'Chum'. Funny that, both of them names appertaining to friendship. Dog - man's best friend.
    Memories aaaaahhhhh. Think it's time for bed. [​IMG]

5. Mainwaring

I see. It must have been your twin sister Maeve. Tell her the Mickey Mouse mask really suits her.
    Now here's a piece of vintage Clovis. I spend three months carefully luring you back to the forum and you think <u>you're </u>annoying <u>me</u>?
    True. Mein Jew, you probably find that with anybody who can manage two syllables per word and a finite verb in every sentence.
    Of course I do. Most of the turns we see on here have no staying power but if the great Canon Sydney was the Smith of Smiths you are quite definitely the Eejit of Eejits. Don't leave us. We look forward to many more flights of logic and verbal pyrotechnics in Old High Clovish.

6. I know I sound like a minced pie, but any chance of Xmas beers all? It would be lovely.
    You too, sheet'. Some of my mates are complete c0cks as well, but they are ok company.
    Are you sure it wasn't you that I pm'd recently?
    Come on; get your **** out, you boweless turd.

7. Dr CO Jones

Dr CO Jones New commenter

Oh dear. This thread will definitely be in the realms of glory by breakfast time.
    A cordial welcome back to the Senior Common Room, Prof Clovis, and please ignore this coarse fellow who's obviously been at the meths again.
    O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
    wie treu sind deine Bl&auml;tter!
    I for one shall be honoured to deck your balls with sprigs of holly and share a festive glass of amontillado and a Minz Spy.

8. Mainwaring

I trust that you were addressing the Christmas Tree?

9. Dr CO Jones

Indeed I was, as you ought to have known from my use of the vocative case.

10. tuanjim

tuanjim New commenter

Tetchy, aint you? I never uses any kind o' fancy-nancy case, being well content with me old iron bound sea chest. An' I'll tip the black spot to anybody who sez anythin' different.
    X Capt Ananias Tuanjim, his mark

11. Mainwaring

I see that we're still here, but give it time.
    You do sound rather minced. Heavy night, was it?

12. You're showing your age, M. For us young pups, every night is a heavy night!
    I do love the way Sh7tmuzak is hanging on to sanity. He must have had some medical attention. Would it be difficult to cut and paste some of his 'not so calm moments' from yesteryear?
    Amazing what a kilo of prozac a day can do for you, eh, madman?

13. tuanjim

tuanjim New commenter

Sarky.
    Good to see ol' Dax back on the boards. He have a PhD in durexprudence from Concepta College Woolawoolagong. As in:
    Q: Why does an Irisman wear two?
    A: To be sure, to be sure.

14. An entertaining and thought-provoking thread.

I have experienced both the sublime and the ridiculous in my career: Dr. Sandra Anstey, R.S. Thomas expert and a top-rate academic, who did cut it in a secondary school before moving on to much loftier things. Then there was my former boss at a school that shall not be named. He was a first rate idiot who knew nothing about the job he was meant to be doing. Thankfully, he has now been given the Spanish Archer.

15. Mainwaring

As in San Sebastian? Painful.
    Perhaps part of the problem is that in schools we tend to value clarity whereas in the halls of academe obscurity can pass for profundity. I recall that when I was doing my BA a couple of my lecturers were spoken of slightingly as 'lightweight'. This puzzled me as those were the ones I understood.
    I sat through three years of lectures with the Head of the English Department who appeared to be speaking an obscure dialect of Mandarin. This worried me so much that when I was in my first grammar school post I persuaded the Headmaster to invite the old Prof to be our guest speaker on Speech Day. I was relieved to discover that nobody else could understand him either.

16. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

At A-level my school seemed to be obsessed with PhDs rather than teaching qualifications. As a result, if you did well in a subject and moved up a class (ie. they split the students based upon end of term results) you generally ended up with less and less intelligible teachers. An exception was in Chemistry. It seemed from talking to others taking all sorts of subjects that this was a common occurrence.
    As I have a PhD, I don't teach as such (although I have some higher ed teaching qualifications) rather lecture or try to guide students through materials they have to engage with. I can quite easily talk for hours (as FP, BFG and BD can testify) about obscure parts of my own research but tend to try to make sure that students can understand the basics and then join in the fun of getting covered in **** (literally at times, metaphorically usually) in the lab.
    Very true of many an academic in my experience and sadly some of my lectures when I was cutting my teeth.

17. Mainwaring

You've reminded me of something I'd forgotten: I had an ivory teething ring with a silver rattle attached (long gone now, I'm afraid, along with the spoon).
    In my alma mater chewing the Dons was generally frowned upon by the Senate.

18. Dr CO Jones

Did you ever hear about the young lady barista whose mother came close to forbidding her to enrol in MSc Civil Engineering course at the University of Hampshire?
    It seems that somebody had warned Mummy that male and female students matriculate together...And that before a young woman was permitted to graduate she had to show her thesis to the Dean of the Faculty.

19. Mainwaring

You are frightening me, Bob.

20. Mainwaring

Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread, but my old friend Bob, aka Clovis/ Sheetmusic/ Maeve/ WJHollenweger, for reasons best known to himself has just extended his personal attacks to my extended family and consequently we are all feeling rather vulnerable.