1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas cooking, eating and drinking plans

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by primarycat, Dec 1, 2019.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

As it's December I thought I'd start asking what all of you are planning.

I've got a bit of an odd Christmas this year as PCjr is working until Boxing Day. So we'll celebrate Christmas later than usual. It'll be a glazed ham the night before and goose on the day.

I'm not sure what to do on actual Christmas day. I don't want to peak too soon but feel I should do something. I'll have my mother in law staying by then. Steak? Any ideas welcome!

nick909 likes this.
  2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We usually have bouillabaisse on Christmas Eve, but have had a couple of years off, so it might be time to start that up again. I think M will like it, probably more so before the addition of the rouille, so we'll let her add her own. It'll be either that or M&S party food, anyway.

It's just us three, like most years, so the main event can't be anything too big. I think we'll get a duck, like last year. The ones from the local butcher are excellent. Lots of meat and beautiful flavour.

Breakfast on the big day will probably be ham and eggs, like always.

Boxing Day we usually have kedgeree for breakfast but we've mates coming for brunch on the 27th so I think I'll save the kedgeree for then. I think I'll make sausage rolls for Boxing Day lunch and then we'll have cold cuts and chips for dinner, with all the salads and pickles, etc.

Boxing Day dinner always reminds me of Cosmos as she always said that it's the best meal of the season, and I have to say, I heartily agree!

I'm going all out for Christmas this year. Full gaudy decorations, the lot. The country is in such a miserable state atm, mainly thanks to that odious lot charged with the running of the country, that I've decided to completely ignore the lot of them, and just enjoy Christmas to the full and embrace the season of goodwill to all, regardless of their politics! :)

lucylollipop and primarycat like this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A thick slice of sirloin, cooked on a grill pan and then sliced would be a fitting thing.

How about a side of salmon? Festive and definitely an occasion, but a good deal lighter. You could en croute it if you want to make it really celebratory, but it would be nice simply flavoured or just seasoned and baked.

primarycat likes this.
  4. primarycat

Both good ideas, Nick. Thanks. I think I'd avoid the en croute route as I dont want to overload us with anything too heavy, but as you suggest nicely flavoured would be good.

nick909 likes this.
  5. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Christmas Eve we usually head to the pub and get a takeaway.
    Christmas Day morning we will walk the dog along the beach and then head to our friends for the rest of the day. They are making a “duke” of beef which looks like a huge big rib in the photos. We are taking the puddings, orange tiramisu and pistachio and chocolate pavlova.
    Boxing Day we will have the kids over and I’ll make us turkey with all the trimmings.

Lots of fizz and friends.

nick909 and primarycat like this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Don't forget to keep the goose fat, biz. It doesn't come cheap and will help recoup some of the cost of the goose.

Plus, if you decide to swim the channel...

primarycat likes this.
  7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Sorry, biz, I muddled your post up with primarycat's.

Bon appetit, everyone!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Just the 2 of us, but I'll be cooking a Turkey with all the trimmings on christmas day. That is unless by some miracle my knee replacement happens before Christmas, if it does, same food cooked by o/h with me directing from a kitchen stool.
    Breakfast on the day is always smoked salmon and scrambled egg.

primarycat likes this.
  9. primarycat

Oh I always keep the goose fat. Those roasties...

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

First Christmas dinner will be this coming Sunday, when all the offspring and Bfs, GFs and husband descend. Roast turkey etc etc, christmas pud and pannacotta forthosewho don't like christmas pud (everyone except me and Mr Belle!).
    Second one on Christmas day when friends joining us.
    I cured my own ham last year but haven't thought about that yet...............
    And yes. Boxing Day is THE BEST MEAL! Cold cuts, bubble and squeak, pickles and picky bits.

primarycat likes this.
  11. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

We are having venison on Christmas Day with all the trimmings, followed by home made Christmas pudding, then cheese & biscuits if we've room. It's just the two of us.
    Christmas Eve I think I'll be doing a fish pie and Boxing Day will be ham & a bubble and squeak using left over veg from Christmas Day. Well, that's the plan so far, but things might change slightly. :)

primarycat likes this.
  12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have already had our roast turkey. My first day of holiday was spent making giblets stock. I had plenty of time at that point to make stock and turkey pies.

I am off on Sunday to collect my Mum. We get back here on Monday. Watercress soup is made to go in the freezer. We are then going out for dinner with the in laws.

On Christmas eve we can have turkey and leek pies (I made a couple of gluten free ones). I will make a batch of gluten free pastry for my Mum's pie top and make some Richmond maids of honour with lemon and gin curd.

Breakfast on Christmas Day will be the traditional pork pie for Mr BS and smoked salmon with scrambled eggs for my Mum and me. We will have roast goose for a late lunch, followed by a chocolate and Florentine roulade.

On Boxing day we will have goose risotto.

primarycat likes this.
  13. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Smoked salmon and scrambled egg breakfast, turkey, gammon, stuffing bacon roll, sausages, gravy, roasties, parsnips, sprouts and carrots for dinner. Christmas pudding or cheese and biscuits.
    Fizz before, Rioja with the turkey.

primarycat likes this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Don't have to cook the turkey this year. B Day lunch for 5 I think will be soup and ham sandwiches and cake. Dinner will be fish pie and something fruity. 27th lunch for 9 will be sausage and mash with a fruity pud then a buffet type supper. 28th will be lun.ch for four at the pub then collapse on the sofa for 2 for supper. Much of it already in the freezer.
    We've still got left over prosecco from a summer party so that'll be fine on Christmas Day and we've got some nice wines ready for us but no one drinks that much in our family ( as opposed to our boozy friends) Also got some alcohol free beer just in case the non drinkers fancy it.

primarycat likes this.
  15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Through the heart?

primarycat likes this.
  16. primarycat

I'll try and restrain myself.

17. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

:)

I have to do that too ...

primarycat likes this.
  18. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Me too, especially when she will insist on a huge dislike of roasties and then the next time she will add extra to her plate.
    Oh and another thing is our forks aren’t wide enough.

I think I still have the bruise from C’s under the table kick when I invited them to come to stay this year. Luckily they went on holiday and are spent out.

primarycat likes this.
  19. primarycat

?????!!!!!!!!!

Mine is hard work but heart is in the right place. I do moan a bit but she's said some outrageous things over the years, usually without realising how offensive they are. She's just broken her shoulder so I'm looking at meals that you can eat with one hand for some of the meals while she's staying. Not nice for her at all.

20. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

We had toasted Pannettone and strong coffee for breakfast. At lunchtime, we had Roast Turkey and Goose, Roast Potatoes and Parsnips, pigs in blankets, chestnut stuffing, red cabbage, sprouts. No pudding-who has room?!
    About 6-7pm people will start making noises about food so I'll make some cold Turkey and ham rolls, put out some crisps and there is trifle.

bombaysapphire and primarycat like this.