1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Carol Service

Discussion in 'Primary' started by RedRich, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Really sorry to bring this up so early - but I'm expected to go back on Monday with most of the hard work done!

In the past we've always put on a Christmas Performance. This year, in an effort to reduce some of the workload, we've agreed to put on a carol service at the local church; which should be terrific. However, we want to have readings between carols to help it flow and to give the children the opportunity to read in church. I have to say I'm stuck. Other than re-telling the biblical version of the story - which might make some of the readings slightly less interesting for our year 6 - who've heard it a few times before, I'm not sure what we could do!

Has anyone put on a similar service that could share a few ideas on how to spice it up and make it relevant, interesting and possibly interactive for all our children from years 3-6 please?!?

Grateful for any ideas to get me started...

2. Our last day of term is always a KS2 Carol Service in our local Church.
    There are songs by classes, solos, duets, instruments etc.... interspersed with readings and poems that tell the Christmas Story. The younger children gradually build a tableau at the front of the Church of the nativity etc...
    Congregational hymns too.
    We couldn't end the last day without it now - really special - the children lead the whole service.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why not do a nine lessons and carols thing? Easy to find readings for a church and a little more than just the Christmas story.

There was a thread on here a few days ago about Christmas in a small school or something that had several links in it.

4. we have done the night before Christmas, used the poem (each pair of lines said by different children, and interspersed it with carols (may not be churchy enough though) or how about using the story Jesus' Christmas party?

5. Try www.inaboxproductions.co.uk

They do a 'Carols InA Box' thing -allt he backing and lyrics and teaching tips to put on a carol concert.

Quite good actually.

6. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I entirely agree with your doubt about biblical readings. The last time I was responsible for organising a service I abandoned them because at that point in December they were too familiar both to the children and to the parents. Instead I went online and found some pensive seasonal readings (some poems, some prose) which children of different years read, and then the last reading was by the head. Each reading was sandwiched by carols, instrumentals or choir pieces.

These are the names of some of them that I have just got off the programme notes, I don't have the texts. You could Google them to see if you can find the actual pieces, or similar passages that might suit you better.

Christmas at School

The Robin in December

Before Christmas

True Christian Christmas

Keeping Christmas

7. We have a theme and each child completes a piece of writing. If there are two brilliant pieces, we try to pick a boy and girl from each class to read out their work. If not, we merge the ideas or put a class piece of writing together from good examples and choose two children read aloud at the church.

We have retold the Christmas story from different points of view, written newspaper reports about the Christmas story, written about the perfect Christmas, our favourite part of Christmas etc. it's usually lovely!

8. Snoopy1975

Snoopy1975 New commenter

Last year the teaching staff played the recorders as a surprise for the kids at ours. Went down a storm!

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Teachers' Choir - Silent Night. Guaranteed drink at the pub laters....