1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Christmas cards

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JTL, Dec 2, 2015.

1. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

A comment on another thread got me thinking. Who do you send Christmas cards to? As a child we never sent cards to people we lived with, so I have continued that tradition with my family. However my husband's family always send cards to people in the same house, usually special personalised ones with 'sister' or whatever on them. Seems a waste of money to me.

Do you send many cards these days? My children gave them to friends when they were young but none send them now they are adults. In recent years, when still working I found many staff no longer sent cards. Often SMT would put a general one up on the staff notice board explaining that they were not sending cards but donating to charity instead.

I send to friends and relatives, and a couple of neighbours, but always include a letter to those relatives I rarely see these days, otherwise what is the point of a card? Admittedly, I write a general letter on the computer and then personalise it to save time. I think it is nice to send and receive newsy letters though I confess I rarely send letters at any other time of the year. Sadly, I write fewer each year as many are elderly and are gradually passing away. My first HOD died last year aged 94. I realised we had been corresponding for 34 years without ever actually meeting up as I moved away from the area, but she was such a fantastic, humorous person that it was lovely to keep in touch once a year.

My husband sends cards he has made with Christmassy cartoons on them to his personal friends which people enjoy. Again he writes a few lines to those who are ex colleagues who he sees occasionally.

How about you?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I send very few… to those I don't or won't see frequently, won't give a present to and who live far away. A couple of ageing relatives and a few far flung friends.

3. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Yes, I only send a few cards these days: maybe 12 in all. Family and a few neighbours, but there is one I like to send to who is a teacher, and I phone occasionally, whom have known since graduating, and we all say we will meet again once our working lives are over.

We have all changed over the years, bringing up our children in our own way, but it's nice to have a long term friend. Unfortunately our other mutual friend died of skin cancer around the age of 44. sedated in Frimley Park Hospital as he was too scared to go home, and it is a lesson to us all about what we freak out about, and what we deal with.

ShowerGel likes this.
  4. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

The letter in the card is known as a Round Robin. It sometimes involves an embarrassing amount of boasting. Lol

5. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I send quite a few to friends, relatives and neighbours but I would never bother sending cards to people I live with. That said I'm not a great fan of birthday cards either, particularly if I'm giving a gift.

I have a friend who always produces a funny card personal to their family. It's the only one I keep.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Nope. Don't send them. Waste of time and money. And the ones I get I put in the recycling after I've tried to remember who 'Jean and Reg' or 'Mary and John' actually are.

kibosh and ShowerGel like this.
  7. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I haven't sent cards for years!

My Mum had a book full of Round Robins! It was such a p i ss take. Brilliant!

I may start a thread for people to write made up Round Robins...

They are a terrible cover up for unfaced reality.
    I feel sad for Round Robin writers.

If I was writing the truth about my family I suppose people may love it because they would know they weren't the only ones suffering certain trials..

This year Sophia gained 10 A* in her A Levels and Oxford and Cambridge are fighting over her. They both are desperate for her to study medicine with them. We are expecting them to pay a large sum. She was offered £20,000 by the Vogue Modelling Agency just for one photo shoot last week! She is AMAZING and Jules and I are so proud.

marlin and kibosh like this.
  8. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Isn't this the archetypical sort of boasting we don't need? Vogue? I guess she looks like a horse of Jamie Oliver? Wait to see what comes out the other side is my advice. Probably a prostitute.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As a child, I was happy enough to be included in the "& family" part of the cards my parent's sent. It would have been churlish to have asked them to write "& family except the Duke", since the cards we received didn't exclude me.

I think that when I was first married, I took part in this ritual obligation willingly, then couldn't be bothered to sit down and work out who should be on the Christmas card list. Once we had a child and were paying a 15% mortgage, it was a toss up whether to have a meagre Christmas or pay the cost of sending cards and have an even more meagre one and I opted for the former, save for my immediate family and dearest friends. The world didn't stop turning.

Life became more organised when I moved in my my current sweetheart, since we had then entered the computer age, which with my sweetheart's enthusiasm for data entry and a database that came with the first computer we bought, coupled with the ability to print out sheets of labels, the task of sending out Christmas cards could be done in a trice or two and only require my intervention when it came to remove the jammed labels from the printer and reconfigure the print file from where the last readable label had been produced.

We went through a phase when my sweetheart was heavily into making her own cards, which I have to say gave her immense satisfaction for a while, but she then turned her creative skills to new interests, found that it was far less expensive to send out mass produced cards, than her delightful handmade ones and as nobody seemed to notice the difference, has continued to do so.

I can say in truth that it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me if I never sent nor received another card of any kind, but it does to her. There's a list in our study of all the birthdays of the residents I look after and she makes sure that each of them get a card from us.

I see she's bought several packets of Christmas cards in anticipation of sending these to the residents as well, however I'm reminded we have a team Christmas lunch coming up next week and as the organisation I now work for are big on emotion, I shall probably nick them, rather than be embarrassed by not having any cards to give to the team members, who will almost certainly be handing cards to me.

All I can say is that all the elderly residents that have so far received a birthday card have said they appreciated it and when my sweetheart left out a card for them to sign for my birthday, it was crammed full of signatures, not that I could read that many from the shaky handwriting.

My personal view on sending cards is similar to Lascarina's. Other peoples'? It can make their day that someone remembered them.

marlin likes this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I was working I organised a collection instead of sending each other cards at work and we usually collected enough to 'build a bog' and buy a few mosquito nets via Oxfam or Christian Aid. I don't know if anyone there took this on when I left. This is the first Christmas I've been officially retired and I'll probably end up sending cards to the few colleagues I keep in touch with.

I have a friend from University that I have not seen since who always sends a card with a handwritten account of what has been going on in her life and mutual friends who she still sees. It's not a Round Robin and I genuinely look forward to it.

11. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

"This year Sophia gained 10 A* in her A Levels and Oxford and Cambridge are fighting over her. They both are desperate for her to study medicine with them. We are expecting them to pay a large sum. She was offered £20,000 by the Vogue Modelling Agency just for one photo shoot last week! She is AMAZING and Jules and I are so proud."

That is fab - sadly mine would read "this year the cat became incontinent and Uncle Brian has been asked to leave the conservative club as he refuses to stop slapping waitresses bottoms..."

Lascarina, InkyP, marlin and 2 others like this.
  12. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

At work we did a giving tree instead of cards. Don't know if thats continuing this year or not.

I've got cards for a couple of ex-colleagues and am sending one to the staff as a whole. I have cut down on my cards this year. Those that are left tend to be old friends -from school and uni. We all tend to to the round robin but we tend to be of the Noja kind! I also send to some of mum's old chums - she can't manage but I know that the older generation seem to like getting them. I've handwritten a wee note inside to let them know how mum is doing.

When I cleared out mum's house I found masses of ununsed Christmas cards and have been using them up although I did buy a packet of cards from a local charity. I also got one of the online places to do some with a photo of mum with her great grandson to send to her friends. Last year in my mum's home town the local Scouts were delivering cards for about 20p. We are going to take a drive over next week to see if this is still the case and this will help the scouts' funds and we will visit some friends at the same time.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What is a round robin?

No, seriously, I don't know . . .I've heard of it, but the descriptions on this thread are simply fogging my idea even more.

14. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

In this context a letter usually typed and enclosed in a Christmas Card to inform (boast about) the recipients of how your life has gone in since the last one.

kibosh likes this.
  15. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

e.g
    Desdemona and Tarquin have both climbed The Matterhorn this year whilst revising for their A Levels and then gaining 6 A* each and thus gaining a place at Trinity to study medicine on a full scholarship, Tarquin majoring in tropical medicine and Des paediatrics ( do you remember the darling child - aged 2 writing prescriptions for her dollies?)

Jack is still making shedloads in The City and we travelled to the corners of our Globe last summer for 3 months enjoying every moment and meeting up with (not you though) various close friends and having those special chummy moments together!

What a delight our family is, not only to ourselves but to everyone else!

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Up for lexus

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh. I've never received one of those and never sent one either.

18. marlin

marlin Star commenter

:eek:

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:D @marlin

The people I get Christmas cards from are people I see/talk to all year round . . I suppose that's the difference . . .cards are sent to mark the moment and NOT used to update others on life events

aspensquiver likes this.
  20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm also a bit baffled as to why people might include a round robin with a card, when there's facebook for all ones boasting needs (if one is so inclined)